Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rubs- Make Them or Buy Them

Options
bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited December 2011 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades

Most of the posts I read always say whose rub they used. Is making your own cost the same so why buy them? Can't make them taste right?

I'm wondering if I should be shopping around for a bulk distributor or look for my own recipes. 

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Lots of good recipes for rubs and over all cheaper to make than commercial. Most commercial use too much salt (cheap) while making your own, you can control the amount.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    You are right, many commercial blends are nothing special. But some are. Eggers Dizzy Pig make a great line of rubs. I've had some from John Henry and the Spice House that were very good. I'd guess that lots of folks mention a specific brand because they have found it really good, and can't help but mention it.

I do make lots of my own rubs, or modify ones I have on hand. The problem for me is that I rarely can use the spices I have quickly enough that they don't loose flavor. I hate to do it, but often I'll have a half a bottle of something that I know is 2 years old, or older, and pretty much sawdust, so I have to throw it away. When I buy from a small producer online, I'm inclined to think the product has not been sitting on a shelf for a couple of years.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I go back and forth.  I got into making my own for a few years, but now I back to buying online.  I'm a big fan of the TexasBBQRub line.  I've been meaning to try the Dizzy Pig stuff but haven't got a chance yet.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• GreenhawK
    Options
    I use Dizzy Pig, Texas BBQ rub, Billy Bones, and a rub from a local BBQ shop. I like variety, so I use different ones for different things. I also will use one on ribs one week, and then use another the next week.

I figure that the people who make these rubs have given a lot of their time to developing them, so they can do a better job than I can with the limited time I have to do it.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I think its cheaper to make your own, but there are a lot of good ones out there where they have already invested the time, energy and money into making a quality product so when you find one you like, you tend to stick with it. Also, sometimes its just fun to find and try out new ones. I'm a fan of the Dizzy Pig line and last night I tried my first one from The Spice House (it was a gift) and it was real good. They grind and blend their own in house. I've made my own rubs before, it takes time to research, try and modify to get it where you want it. And then if you are like me, you lose the recipe you wrote down so you can't make it again. I also tend to get a lot of rubs as presents.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I just bought my first couple of commercial rubs and the first thing I noticed was the aroma they gave off.  They smelled incredible.  The spices in the spice rack don't get rotated or used up fast enough and I believe they loose some of there flavour.  Plus the bottles are probably not as air tight as they should be.  It's a lot of fun making your own, but I've often wondered if they taste as good at they should.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Variety, do both and experiment. I have been using the same rub for years but it doesn't mean that I haven't tried new ones (both made and bought). Most have been tossed in the trash but we have given it a go.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Options
    I stumbled on a mesquite rub at Costco which is terrific. Great price as well. Found out is is seasonal in my area so I bought 5 jars at end of summer.
  • NibbleMeThis
    Options
    I do both.  I like making my own in small quantities but also use various commercial rubs. 

One reason I like using commercial rubs is to try something different than I have made. 
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Shawn
    Shawn Posts: 356
    Options
     like dizzy pig spices alot and plowboy!
    Cheers! Shawn My Blog: http://hrmcreativebbq.blogspot.com/ My Dads Custom Handles Blog http://dannyscarvings.blogspot.com
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I bought the Dizzy Pig "Sampler" selection and have played around with about four of them so far.
    Meh.
    The rubs I've been using for years on my old water smoker were taken from BBQ cookbooks written by guys who've done well on the BBQ circuit, contest-wise.  Plus, no matter how good a particular rub/sauce/whatever is, I usually think "this'd be better with a bit more garlic, or less cumin, or a bit more quintessential citrusiness...  I like playing with different combinations!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Thus far I've only purchased from stores, but I recently put a whole bunch of rub recipes in my cookbook from "Smoke and Spice", and other cookbooks.  I plan to give them a try next, before purchasing anything else.

I could see a rub like "Dizzy Pig Raging River Rub" being cheaper/easier to just buy, but for a good rib rub I'm betting I can make a really good one myself from recipes or by modifying those recipes.

Frank
  • FxLynch
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • FxLynch
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • FxLynch
    edited December 2011
    Options
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    RE: Squeezy - Most commercial use too much salt ...

I agree.  This is why I have to stopped using most rubs.  Unbelievable the amount of salt in all foods.  Bought frozen 'healthy' skinless chicken breasts, second ingredient (ingredients!!)?  Salt!  1/3 my daily dose.

Sugar and salt, the two main food groups.  No wonder we are entering a generation where kids are expected to expire before the parents.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Squeezy
    Options
    Amen!
  • gdenby
    Options
    Yes, there are some rubs that are just seasoned salt.

Not to go too far off topic... Some years ago I needed to bring some soups to my elderly and very sick father. He could not have much salt at all. When I went to the store, I was astonished to see how much salt was in every pre-made soup and broth. I made the soups from scratch, and they were pretty good.

I've been working on making my own broth for some years now, and on the rare ocassion that my wife and I have store bought, we are amazed at how salty they are. (and how much MSG they have.) So what I am edging towards are BBQ sauces made with a base of highly reduced stock, instead of the sweetener that is the base of most of the commercial product.

To get back a bit onto the original topic, has anyone tried stevia in rubs? I've tried dried powdered stevia once, in addition to the brown sugar that was in the rub. Altho I added too much, and the rub ended up making a super sweet coating, the stevia herb taste was unnoticable. Although I would not want to get rid of the crustiness sugar can add to bark, stevia might be a good way to boost the sweetness without sending folks into hypoglycemic shock,
  • 1klrvette
    Options
    I would like to make my own. But I haven't had any luck finding a good mix.

Scott
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    Here's one I use on pork alot.
    1-cup Light brown sugar
    1/4 cup Dry mustard
    1 Tbs. Chili powder
    1 Tbs. Cumin
    1 Tbs. Paprika
    1 Tbs. Onion powder
    1 Tbs. Garlic powder
    1 Tbs. Black pepper
    1 Tbs. White pepper
    1 Tbs. Cayenne pepper
    2 Tbs. Kosher salt
    This makes a good amount and we keep it in an air tight container.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • gdenby
    Options
    I would like to make my own. But I haven't had any luck finding a good mix.

Scott
    In frequency of use, and quantity, most rubs have a base of just 4 things. In descending order: brown sugar, paprika, black pepper, and salt. Start with a mix of those being about 60% - 70% of the rub. Then anything else you like. Garlic and onions powders are very common. Some sort of chili, either cayenne hot and or blander powdered ones like anchos. Mustard, cumin, etc. etc.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

I do some off-the-shelf and some home made also.  I really like Dizzy Pig and am just trying Cluck n Squeal.  I do have one go-to recipe that comes from Steven Raichl that I have been using fo years and really depend on.

:-B
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Squeezy
    Options

Here's one from Dr. BBQ

½ Cup salt

½ Cup turbinado sugar

½ Cup granulated brown sugar

1 Tbsp granulated garlic

1 Tbsp granulated onion

2 Tbsp paprika

2 Tbsp chili powder

2 Tbsp fresh ground black pepper

2 Tsp cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp thyme

1 Tbsp ground cumin

1 Tsp ground nutmeg

• FxLynch
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I just went to the natural grocer to get some spices a little fresher to make a couple rubs.  Here is a pic of some of them.  The aroma is so fresh compared to the spices I usually use in American food.

• The_Grill_Sergeant
    Options
    I've been using rubs by Knox's Spice and the results have been great.  In fact, I did a couple racks of baby backs the other night with Knox's Barbicu (Salt Free) and my wife couldn't stop raving about them.
    Egg Head in Klamath Falls, Oregon
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    RE: 
    Knox's Barbicu (Salt Free) 

Thanks The_Grill_Sergeant for the name.  Been looking for salt free spices (been ordered off salt) and I can buy locally.

Will give it a try.

Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    Great topic. I have been reading Smoke & Spice and want to start making my own rubs, then I got a great Living Social coupon for Hasty Bake where I got $50 credit for $25. Guess what I got, not a new grill, new rubs to try. I want to see what I like and then work on my own blends.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    I love all of the input. After reading these posts, I plan on buying a couple of the more popular rubs and make my own.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    i like rudys dry rub just the right amount of heat
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I just went to the natural grocer to get some spices a little fresher to make a couple rubs.  Here is a pic of some of them.  The aroma is so fresh compared to the spices I usually use in American food.

What makes you think they are fresher?  Those spices can be 5 years old, who knows?  Grinding
    your own spices is really the only way to know how fresh your ingredients
    are.  

I like to buy smaller sized
    bottles that are sealed; big bottles may be cheaper but lose their potency
    quicker once opened.  Dizzy Pig does grind their own spices and have some great flavor profiles.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA