Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overnight cooking

Options
Gnorwoodjr
Gnorwoodjr Posts: 2
edited December 2011 in Root
I just got a large BGE as an early Christmas present and wanted to try and cook a turkey overnight. I wanted to see if anyone could give me some tips. I come from the world of the metal weber smokers and have never been able to do a long cook without checking the fire every hour to make sure it maintains it's temp. How long can I leave the egg and expect it to maintain it's temp? Also, will it matter that it gets into the mid 30's at night? Any tips anyone can give me would be well appreciated......thanks in advance!

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    The turkey I cooked was done in less than 5 hours so I am not sure an overnight cook is appropriate for a turkey. Mine was done with a 350 F dome temperature. Turkey is very lean so I would not think it would do well for a low and slow type cook. The outside temperature should not affect anything other than the initial time it takes to bring the egg to a stable temperature and even then not too much.

Gerhard
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I also agree that a Turkey is not normally done as an overnight cook.  Also, I cook all the time during the Winter with temperatures below 30 degrees and it has no effect on cooking.

One good tool to own for overnight cooks is a remote thermometer which you can put next to your bed and check the temperatures during the night without having to go outside.  Most have alarms that you can set to alert you if temperatures drop or climb too much.  I have  Maverick ET732 which has 2 probes - one for the meat and the other for the pit temp.  Costs about $60.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • field hand
    Options

Agree with the above comments, turkey's not normally an over-niter. I do smoke cut-up turkey for the smoke flavor, indirect at 250*, takes 4 hours or so to get to 170* range. Has good flavor but not as moist as normal. For over nite cooks, the remote thermometer with alarm settings is really great. However, if the egg is stable at temp, the alarm porbably won't go off. Always a good thing.

Barry

Marthasville, MO

• bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Doing a 12 lb turkey right now. Outside temp is 30°. It's been on for 1 hr and breast is at 130°. Pit temp is 300°. Using fruit wood for smoke. I might drizzle a little honey on half of the bird for the last 30 minutes. Smells good.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• 1klrvette
    Options
    I did a 15lb turkey on thanksgiving it took 3 hours at 300 I toweled for about an hour