Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh Ham

Options
sepedersen
sepedersen Posts: 6
edited December 2011 in Pork
I am going to smoke a fresh ham,what I need to know is what kind of wood to use????
maple or apple or even pecan??? and even a good temp to keep it at with the bge.
The ham is injected and brined. Any input would be great!!!! thanks

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    maple, pecan, hickory... all good

250 is a good temp, or even higher, say 325, 350.

to no higher than 140-150 internal .   you are cooking a roast, after all. 

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • sepedersen
    Options
    well it is 20 pound ham I heard about 22 mins per pound??

• stike
    Options
    no idea.  what temp are you taking it to?

if it is 'fresh; (uncured, uncooked), it is a roast that just happens to be the 'ham' from the pig (the cut is a 'ham'), but it will be white and grey when cooked, not pink and salty/cured etc.

is that what you are going for, a roast?

at 325, one might expect a ham (cured and already cooked, and now just being reheated) to take 20-22 minutes a pound.  but cooking, at 250, to 140-150 internal... no idea.  it should take much longer than reheating a cured/cooked ham at 325
  • sepedersen
    Options
    I am not going for the roast ... it is brined salty/cured yes ---and is bone in the ham.. 
    and your right will be white and grey.. 

I am going to prepare this for tomorrow (sat) and then serving on sunday.. so I should have all the time i need I think.. lol
    thanks stike!!!!

• stike
    Options
    sorry  i don't know if i confused things, but i'm confused myself now. :O

hahaha

if it is truly 'cured' (not just brined), then it will be pink like a store-bought ham (cured with nitrite).  if it is just brined though, in salted water, it is still basically a roast.  it may happen to be the cut of the pig which folks call a 'ham', but it will be basically a roast

• sepedersen
    Options
    ok cool thanks ... your not the one that is confused its me.. but you are right it is a roast i just wanted to try something different. it s 8:15 now I put it in at 11:00 and it is just about done!!!!!
    Thxs
    stikes!!!!!