Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Assembly of Lg BGE Bands

yellowdogbbq
yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
edited October 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I assembled my Lg BGE last night and I'm not sure that the bands are right.  The instructions say to position the lower band as low as possible on the base then space the upper band evenly on the top.  The hinge sets the gap.  So when I do this the band on the top is at the lower edge of the top and slightly off at the hinge (even with the felt gasket).  Is this the way it is supposed to be?  Should I pull the lower band up and space the top and lower band evenly?  I'm just afraid the top is going to fall out.

Thanks everyone for the help. 

Comments

• I ran into the same issue. I loosened my bands and lifted the lower band slightly. Now my top band is completely on the dome. You can just barely see the green ceramic below the top band on the dome. I have been researching on here to see if that is what others have done and it looks like its common to not sit the lower band the whole way down on the base.

I am just a newbie though. I wanted to a little more grip on the dome. Originally the band was sitting about level with the gasket. I was not comfortable with that. I know you posted this awhile ago. Have you adjusted yours or does it seem to be ok so far?
    Large BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Following is a good link for explanation about addressing all types of alignment issues with the Kamado/BGE; and there are several more via Google-may help you out- Good luck-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71Jplxn4yAg 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Chezbob
    Chezbob Posts: 7
    Watch the assembly video on the BGE website.  It is no longer  correct to push the bands all the way down on the grill.  That is what's causing the issue with your hinge.  You need to move the bottom band up toward the gasket on the base.