Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Calling BBQ Guru Users

joe@bge
joe@bge Posts: 394
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

I pulled the trigger on an early xMas gift for myself and got the CyberQ II from BBQ Guru.  Been reading and researching how-to's on how to use it with the Egg and my main question is how do you set the DFMT when you are using the Guru?  Do you completely close it or do you leave slightly open?  I saw a YouTube video where one guy recommended that you leave it completely closed.  Thought I would run it by the experts here.  Thanks!

Joe

Comments

• I have the Digi Q and I run with the daisy wheel holes about have open, works great for me.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    The DFMT should never be closed unless you are done cooking and want to smother the fire ...
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • joe@bge

Thanks Smoker_Guru...I kind of figured that a bit of a draft would work better.  I get it tomorrow night and I can't wait to start experimenting!  I am going to do some pork fatties for a holiday party and I think I am going to try it out just controlling temps on that cook.  :D

• The DFMT should never be closed unless you are done cooking and want to smother the fire ...
    Funny? Mine was closed yesterday all afternoon and didn't lose the fire? Hmmm, learn something new every day.

I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • I think you will really like your Cyber Q.....And the fatties!!
  • The DFMT should never be closed unless you are done cooking and want to smother the fire ...
    Funny? Mine was closed yesterday all afternoon and didn't lose the fire? Hmmm, learn something new every day.

Plus, you don't want "stale" smoke lingering and depositing on your meat.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• joe@bge
    Thanks for the replies.  It made sense to me to leave it open a bit because with the blower being air tight on the lower vent you shouldn't get to much draft to affect the pit temps too dramatically.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    I have run mine all night when it was raining with the ceramic top on and it holds temps fine. If it can't push air through the top it pushes it through the seal. I have a cyber q and have been wanting to get another adapter, probes, and fan to run a second egg and I found a DIGIQ2 on craigslist today for $125 so thats my Christmas present to myself. Normally I run my guru with the holes in the top barely open.
  • I always try to err on the side of caution... the daisy wheel is not always enough when holding 350, and i have to slide it open a little. i am guilty of opening it too much to find myself running at 370. 

if you hear the fan running constantly give it some air, if it is adding the occasional puff you are money...

you are going to LOVE it. my first time using it the food probe was reading about 20 - 40 degrees hot. Now I start it with both probes plugged in even if the probe is outside the egg (i.e. during start up). I matches almost perfectly with my thermapen.
  • Squeezy
    The DFMT should never be closed unless you are done cooking and want to smother the fire ...

Plus, you don't want "stale" smoke lingering and depositing on your meat.

Thank you for sharing your common sense.
  • @squeezy-

Common sense? Please elaborate, I've done a hundred or so cooks with my DFMT open a hair. What am I doing wrong? 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • open a hair is good. closed is bad.

too open and you run hot. too closed and the fan runs too much.

I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.
  • Deckhand
    Deckhand Posts: 318
    I leave my vent open "just a hair"... and keep the slide on the fan closed 3/4.
  • Squeezy
    @squeezy-

Common sense? Please elaborate, I've done a hundred or so cooks with my DFMT open a hair. What am I doing wrong? 

You said yours was 'closed all afternoon' now you say open a hair...

The common sense was directed @ chokeonsmoke

For any fire, intake air and exhaust are required.

I'm sure someone will stomp all over me for saying that and that will be fine...

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    The common sense was directed @ chokeonsmoke
    I've been hanging out on "cooking boards" for 10 years.  It might be common sense to you, but it definitely is not, to a whole lot of people.  Trust me.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Squeezy

I hear ya ... perhaps I should just stop putting my 2¢ in, as it is not appreciated my many.

However, there are nuggets of good info for me here, so lurking may be all that I should do.

• joe@bge
    The way I see it - with most things there are multiple ways to perform a task and succeed.  Everyone has there way of doing things and thats why we share and collaborate on these forums.  Again thanks for the feedback.  I'll let you know how my first cook with the Guru works out.
  • I hear ya ... perhaps I should just stop putting my 2¢ in, as it is not appreciated my many.

However, there are nuggets of good info for me here, so lurking may be all that I should do.

I thought your comment was right on the money about never closing the vent.  I was just trying to support that, by telling WHY you wouldn't want to completely close the vent.  I see that question all the time.
    Keep on posting, Squeezy!
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Learned something  reading about this...I havent been paying enougth attention to the openings on top and have been having a hard time holding temp on low and slow with the digi q 2...guess i need to close down the openings..i'll check it out this weekend on two butts....

Rockwall Texas, just east of Dallas where the humidity and heat meet! Life is too short to get caught in the fast lane behind somebody slow!

XL, LG, Sm, Mini and Weber for drink holder

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited December 2011
    Smoke needs to escape. It's particulate matter that wil settle on the meat, creating a bitter taste, creosote Large thick pieces of meat are less affected than smaller cuts, like chicken and ribs.
    Cook some steaks with the vent closed or barely open and then with the vent open atleast with the small holes, you will be amazed at the taste
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • How far gone your gasket is will also have an effect on how far the daisy wheel is open
  • Learned something  reading about this...I havent been paying enougth attention to the openings on top and have been having a hard time holding temp on low and slow with the digi q 2...guess i need to close down the openings..i'll check it out this weekend on two butts....
    Also, there is a damper on the barrel of the blower. If you leave that fully open you won't be able to get to low temps. Close it down to 1/4.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven is spot on... Doing a cook at 225 as i type. I thought i was going to have to shut the top completely then i remembered the slide adjustment on the blower. It is at a 1/4 and the daisy wheel is at a quarter... 225 with little effort from the blower for, PERFECT.