Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oak wood

Options
RichmondBGE
RichmondBGE Posts: 11
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've read on here that a lot of people use oak wood and fruit wood for smoking vs the more overpowering hickory or mesquite woods.  I don't think I've ever seen oak chips for sale before though.  I do have a lot of seasoned/dried oak logs I use for firewood I could cut up and make small chunks out of.  Does it matter if it's red oak vs. white oak?

Comments

• upnsmoke
    Options

Here is the best description of all woods that i have found. Hope it helps...

Mesquite

This is that classic TexMex and Southwestern flavor. It has a strong, biting, zesty flavor.

Use sparingly as this is the strongest smoking wood. A little goes a long way. I like it on brisket and ribs. Good on chicken too.

Hickory

Hickory is more of a sweet, smokey flavor than mesquite. It is the most popular smoking wood and is what most people would associate with the "classic" American barbecue.

Can be used with any meat especially brisket and pork. Sometimes used in combination with oak for a milder flavor.

Red Oak

Most people describe red oak as a sweeter version of white oak but overall, oak is not as strong as hickory. Most people would describe oak as a neutral or mellow flavor.

Can be used with any meat and in combination with other woods like hickory and/or fruitwoods. I often think of oak as a heat source rather than a smoke flavor because the other woods are so much more distinct.

White Oak

Similar to red oak, but not quite as sweet of a flavor. Can also be found in the form of wine or whiskey barrel chunks. In which case, you would gain the extra aroma of the wine or whiskey.

Same as red oak.

Oak Wine Barrel Blocks

A great oaky smoke with a surprisingly strong wine aroma in the smoke.

Great with ribs and chicken but can be used with butts or brisket too.

Pecan

A sweeter, nuttier flavor similar to hickory but not as strong.

Can be used with any meat similar to oak and makes a good stand alone source of heat and flavor.

Maple

A gentle, sweet aroma and flavor.

Great for chicken and pork.

Fruitwoods... apple, cherry, peach, pear, apricot.

These fruitwoods impart a mild, sweet, fruity hint of smoke flavor to your meats.

Usually used with chicken and ribs and can be mixed with oak to add just a touch of the fruity flavor.

Alder

Similar to maple and the fruitwoods. It imparts a subtle, sweet aroma. Some say it has a hint of cedar and that it's syrup smells like bananas.

Popular in the Pacific Northwest it is used a lot to smoke salmon. It can be used for chicken and pork too.

Grapevine

A rich and fruity aroma as you would expect from a fruitwood.

Mostly used for chicken, wild game or fish. Popular in the wine regions of the world.

Cedar (planks)

DO NOT burn this in your firebox, rather use it for planking inside your cooking chamber. A sharp, unique, acidic citrusy flavor.

Mainly used with fish.

Beech

A hardwood similar to oak in flavor.

Use like oak if you have this wood available in your area.

Birch

A softer wood with a flavor similar to maple.

Good for pork and chicken.

Corncob

Usually ground into a powder and used in a foil pack or smoke box. It is strong, so use sparingly as an added flavor combined with other woods. It imparts a sweet flavor.

Good for chicken and fish.

Walnut

Strong, bitter flavor so use sparingly and in combination with other woods.

Used mostly with heavy game.

• RichmondBGE
    Options
    Awesome....great info. I will have to try both, my red and white oak. Thanks!
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options
    The difference between red oak and white oak is night and day. IMO, once you have used red oak on beef, you'll be hard pressed to use anything else.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited December 2011
    Options
    How much do you actually appreciate in flavor using oak smoking wood when you have oak lump charcoal as your base heat source?

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA