Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Condensation forming on the OUTSIDE (i.e. glazed side) of my lid in cold weather

Options
DaGreekGeek
DaGreekGeek Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I've had a XL since July.  First off, I keep it covered with the official BGE cover when not in use so it's never been exposed the the elements.

Since the cold weather has kicked in after I get the fire going and close the lid condensation starts to form on the glazed surface of the lid (don't see any on the sides).  At first it's minimal, but as the temperature rises it turns into an all-out drench...

Is this normal?

I've been assuming it's a localized temperature affect similar to a cold glass in a humid
environment (in this case the reverse).  That is, the egg's internal temp is extremely high (400-700+ degrees), the outside surface is lukewarm to hot, and the air temperature is low (30-40 F) so the air just above the surface starts to react and the water condenses out.  I've not bothered to check humidity, but here in North Alabama (Huntsville) there's almost always humidity in the air.  The other day I wiped it down and after the external temp of the egg was very hot (too hot to touch) the problem went away which furthered my theory,  

At the same time, I want to make sure there nothing wrong with my egg as I've not read about this anywhere.  Inside of the egg is dry.

Comments

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    I have had this happen once with my large.  I didn't have a cover on it and chalked it up to the ceramic absorbing moisture and then it evaporates out when it gets hot during a cook.  I don't think there is anything wrong - IMO. 
  • DaGreekGeek
    Options
    @ Tweev_tip I understand, but I was wondering if at the boundary between the cold air and the warm lid the water was condensing out.  In effect the air becomes the cold surface and a thin sliver of air heated by the lid causes the moisture to condense out.  Again I'm not even sure if that's physically possible, but I don't have any other ideas given that I've always had the grill covered.

@joe@bge

I've never left the egg uncovered.  I have the deluxe cover.

I'll call BGE and ask them to see if they've got any ideas.  Perhaps the cover is defective in some way...  I know in the weather we get around here moisture will still build up under things that are covered outside.  My old steel smoker would do this....
  • DaGreekGeek
    Options
    Update: We had unseasonably high temps yesterday (low 70s) so I used it as an 'excuse' to fire up the grill and cook some flank steak.  Anyway I didn't have the condensation issue.  Will try again when the temps drop back into the 30s and 40s this weekend.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    Why is condensation a problem? Ceramics don't rust. I think covers actually promote condensation, but they keep dirt and birdy do do off....
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.