Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Advice on Beef Tenderloin

Options
JeffH
JeffH Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in Beef

I would appreciate advice on the best way to prepare, season
and grill a 5 pd. beef tenderloin on the BGE. 

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    This is the method I use, but there are many ways to do it.  First thing I do is tie the small end back for uniform thickness.  Next, I rub with olive oil and season with Cow Lick rub.  While I'm doing that I let the egg heat up to sub volcanic for a quick sear on all sides.  Once seared I remove and set it uncovered on the counter until the BGE cools down to 325*.  Insert the platesetter and a drip pan and roast until the internal temp is 120*- 125*.  Pull it and let it rest covered in foil for 10 minutes or so before slicing.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    It all depends on what you have and what you want.  Is this a whole (small) tenderloin, or a peeled side muscle off tenderloin?

If cooking it whole, you'll want to remove as much of the membrane and silver-skin as you can, use cotton string or steel pins to tie the tail under in order to make as uniform thickness as you can, then just salt and pepper, and cook indirect to desired doneness (125F at most here).

Alternatively, you could slice it up into tenderloin steaks, salt and pepper them, and T-Rex them.

If you have the whole tenderloin, don't throw away the side chain.  It can be pounded flat and cooked as "cheese steak sandwich" meat.