Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

do you leave your plate setter outside?

fairchasefairchase Posts: 242
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

I see picture after picture of BGE tables with the plate setter just sitting exposed on a shelf.

Do you do this just for pictures , or do you really leave your plate setter totally exposed to rain,snow,birds,bugs,dirt,dogs,etc. 24-7 365 days a year ?

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    If I'm not using it to cook, it only sits out until my egg has cooled after the cook and then back inside the egg before covering.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    yep
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mine sits out year round on a shelf exposed to the elements. 
    On occasion, I have to get a shovel and dig it out of a snow pile.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Yes.

The Naked Whiz
  • Yes Sir, 

I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • You bet.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Could the plate setter crack if it was rain soaked for several days and then the temperature went to below freezing ?

• DavekatzDavekatz Posts: 763
    24/7/365  for 5 years in Minnesota. No problems.
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • rodentrodent Posts: 106
    Never cover mine - sits out all year round - never a problem in 5 years.
  • lwrehmlwrehm Posts: 205
    Mine lives on the lower shelf omy my table, however, my BGE in its table sleeps in the garage with the Cub Cadets.
  • reh111reh111 Posts: 163
    Uh, huh
  • I cleaned mine and brought it in the first two times I used it. Hasn't seen the inside of my house since.
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    Until I finally build a table for my EGG the platesetter sits outside, exposed, on my patio.
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • AD18AD18 Posts: 169
    I leave mine inside the egg after I'm done.  Safe and sound.
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • psalzerpsalzer Posts: 106
    Mine has never been inside the house!
  • I'm sure I've had a racoon or two up on the table licking mine.  Doesn't bother me - all will be cooked off while I get the egg up to temp.  It's not like I set the food on it.

I love my egg.
  • Leave mine out 24 x 7 x 365.  My wife keeps hers in her egg usually. 
    Knoxville, TN