Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I ruined supper

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Today I got a brite idea that I would buy an unbaked pizza from Papa Murphys,take it home,fire up the BGE, and have pizza and beer for supper. I preheated to 425 D. The pizza instructions said to leave pie on the cardboard tray. So I just put the pie and tray on my baking stone. I then put the stone with pizza in the BGE without the grill. I couldn't get the temp to rise back up to 425. Even with dampers fully open. It stayed at 300 D. The crust turned black and the top never did "bubble". The beer was perfect. What can I do next time?

Comments

• BBQBluesStringer
    Options
    Jill Fowler,
    Heat your stone in the egg before you put the pizza on. Ditch the cardboard. I usually cook pizza at 550F with the stone sitting on top of the plate setter. I will generally let the ceramic and stone stabilize at that temperature for at least a half an hour before cooking the first pizza, sometimes longer.[p]I would guess that you probably didn't have enough charcoal burning if you were not able to recover from opening the egg and placing the pizza and cold stone inside. When doing pizza I will light the center of the lump, and about 4 or 5 spots around the center. The idea is to have pretty much all the lump burning at once when you get your temperature stabilized.[p]Hope this helps a little bit. Good luck with your next pizza! BTW, it doesn't hurt if you have a chunk of hickory in lump. We find that it adds an interesting flavor to the pizza, especially one heavy on the meat and sausage.

• Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Jill Fowler,[p]Preheat the stone, dont place it in the egg cold with the pizza. Remove the cardboard. For a frozen pizza I'd let it thaw first. I suspect you'll burn the crust with the extended time it takes for thawing and cooking.

• EGGstremist
    EGGstremist Posts: 12
    Options
    Jill Fowler,
    With all due respect, Boccie and BBQblues have not done a papa murphys pizza on the egg before. They are both correct in pre-heating the egg with the pizza stone and plate setter in there. But the issue is Papa Murphy's uncooked pizza is IMPOSSIBLE to take off the cardboard before it is cooked, it sticks to the cardboard. So here is what I do. Get the egg nice and hot, place the pizza on there at 500 (you will not have the daisy wheel on). Visually check the pizza through the hole in the top of your egg to make sure all the ingredients are melted together and the crust is a nice golden brown. The crust should now be cooked enough to slide off of the cardboard directly on to the pizza stone. Leave the lid of the egg open and open the bottom vent fully, you are now cooking the crust since the ingredients are already done. Just keep lifting up the edge of the crust with a metal spatula to check for your desired crust (crispy, etc.) If you are cooking more than one pizza, you will find that subsequent pizzas might not need to be removed from the cardboard at all, because the pizza stone temp is finally catching up at that point. Papa Murphys medium is the perfect size for the Large BGE. I know this sounds labor intensive, but trust me it was trial and error....maybe if you do preheat the stone enough, you can eliminate the second part all together.

• Unknown
    Options
    Eggstremist,[p]Yup, "Eggzactly" what I was going to suggest. We've egged quite a few Papa Murphy's pizzas over here as well.[p]I'll go one step furher and point out that I do the same thing with my home made pizas too. I build them up directly on my aluminum pizza pan and toss the pie in the egg, pan and all. Then when the dough sets I pull the pan out and let the pizza finish up directly on the stone.[p]I tend to use much lower temps for my pizza, but thats 'cuz I sometimes add a *lot* of toppings and I need them to bake through.[p]
    bc

• Unknown
    Options
    Jill Fowler,[p]I have done that too.....the secret is to leave the dampener setting alone. The stone & the pizza will cook just fine. Better luck next time.[p]Mike
  • Julie R
    Julie R Posts: 39
    Options
    Jill Fowler,
    One thing you need to remember with a Papa Murphy's pizza is that just because the dome temp only says 300 degrees, doesn't mean that is what it is below the pizza. One thing I do is to lower the temp on the BGE and let it be in there for 30 minutes for a standard pizza and 45 minutes for the Chicago style. I leave it on the cardboard with the stone under. Never have gone wrong with this. It might take a little longer to cook, but it gives you time to have another beer.
    Julie

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Jill Fowler, sorry to be the only contarian here but for the last two years at my dealers' eggfest thingee a rep from Papa Murphy has egged at least 20 pizzas for crowd give aways. The set up is using the plate sitter with the legs up and then just the metal grate on top - no stone! Pizza stays in the cardboard and it bakes just fine...and actually a pretty darn good pizza at that!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Boccie
    Boccie Posts: 186
    Options
    Eggstremist,[p]Your correct I am unfamiliar with the papa murphys pizza. I had no idea the cardboard was pretty much stuck to the dough on these. I am keeping your instruction in case I get a chance to try one. Lord knows my memory will fail me if I dont and sure enough I'd be fighting trying to get that cardboard off.[p]I am guessing the bottom of the crust doesnt get golden brown.