Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork help

Options
Gaprofitt
Gaprofitt Posts: 9
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum

Hi All,

Got my Large green egg about 2 weeks ago, so far only grilled chicken and burgers.  I've never did any type of large smoke.  I'd like to make some pulled pork bbq.  Can someone give me some advice, a good rub to use, how long to cook, raised rack or not, plate setter or not, I don't have one currently.  Any tips are appreciated.  I need to know the basics, what meat to get, etc.

Thanks so much,

Greg

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Pork Butt (Pork shoulder) is the most forgiving piece of meat you can cook on the egg.  Cook it indirect (plate setter or other indirect setup).  I slather mine with cheap yellow mustard (holds the rub on - you won't taste it in the end) and then put on your favorite rub.  Amount of time is meaningless, cook to temperature (around 190-195).  I set the egg temp to about 250.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gaprofitt
    Options

Can you give me a guess on time, 3 hours, 8 hours, etc?

Thanks,

Greg
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011
    Options

Can you give me a guess on time, 3 hours, 8 hours, etc

Thanks,

Greg
    I cooked 18 lbs just last night (2 separate 9 lb pieces) and they took about 10-11 hours.
    I took them off and wrapped them in foil, wrapped that in beach towel and put in cooler for a few hours to rest.

Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gaprofitt
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips, one last question, when I pickup one of the butts at the grocery store do I need to trim it, etc?  Sorry i'm a complete noob..  Also what's best for shredding it for sandwiches versus slices.
  • banzaitoyota
    Options
    I like a quarter inch of fat
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    I get mine bone-in from my local grocery store and don't trim them at all, but whoever the grocery store's supplier is has trimmed them already to a degree - hard to answer that one.

I shred. If you take it to 190-195, you won't be slicing, it just falls apart easily.  If for some reason you want to slice, cook it to a lesser temp.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Gaprofitt
    Options
    You guys are making me hungry.. :)

I have some hickory wood chunks, how many chunks should I use if I use them?

Thanks,

Greg
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    I get mine bone-in from my local grocery store and don't trim them at all, but whoever the grocery store's supplier is has trimmed them already to a degree

Do you get better results with a bone in?

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • medic119
    Options
    Bone-in in pork butt is like a pop-up timer to turkey.  If you can pull the bone out clean, the meat is at the correct temp for pulling.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    edited December 2011
    Options
    I too always slather it in yellow mustard and use Bad Byrons butt rub i really like the flavor. Set my BGE to about 265 or so and cook indirect to 195 or so. Wrap in foil if you need to hold it for a while or set out to pull. Foiling does seem to soften the bark to me some though but doesnt effect the flavor whatsoever .

As far as cooking times that can greatly vary. I have had 8lb butts done in less than 8 hrs and once had a 10lb butt take almost 20 . Generally 1hr-1.5hr per pound is close. 

Before doing a butt i always take out the ring and firebox and clean all the ash just so i have good air flow.

As stated before Butt is the most forgiving piece of meat you will cook and is delicious . I serve with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce on a bun with cole slaw on the sandwich

good luck
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • HarleyDoug
    Options
    I agree with all everybody said - The one thing I'd found that works for me is the start the butt/butts late the evening before I want to eat and get my egg temp set at 225 - 250 go to bed and check it when I take my middle of the night bathroom break (yes I'm at that age) adjust if necessary and I've got a great boston butt 10-12 hours from the time I put on - most important is to cook the meat to 195  don't worry if the meat reaches a certain temp  and "stalls" just wait till you get to the magic 195 and that bone easily pulls out ----- actually I think I'm going to have to do a boston butt tonight --------- Good Luck! and enjoy!
    Doug
  • BBQRandul
    Options

I agree also,   cooking low and slow .   220 deg    till 10-12 hrs   again low temp.   wrap in foil, cover with a towel...

Rub and marinate longer the  several hours.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011
    Options
     Do you get better results with a bone in?
    Hard to say for sure.  But it always seems to me with any meat the bone-in is better than not.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    275 - 300 is still low.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Greygoose
    Options

i'm not sure where you folks are getting your cook times, but my 9lb bone in butts go for 18 hours at 225-250 dome indirect before i hit 195.

Greygoose 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,346
    Options
    I'm with Greygoose on the average cook times for the 250+/-*F calibrated dome temps.  Don't think I've had a pork butt cook in less than 1.75 hrs/# and the great majority are right around 2 hrs/#. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Mine generally go about 1.5hrs a lb at 275 dome, but I usually plan on them taking 1 to 2 hours a pound. Still have never had one take 2 hrs, though. Wrap in aluminum foil and throw in an ice chest filled with towels to rest for at least 1 hour up to 4 max.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ChokeOnSmoke
    edited December 2011
    Options

i'm not sure where you folks are getting your cook times, but my 9lb bone in butts go for 18 hours at 225-250 dome indirect before i hit 195.

Greygoose 

If you're at 225 dome, you're only at maybe 200 at the grid (where the meat is).  Much too low a cooking temp in my opinion (and it looks like many others in this thread).
    I'm not surprised that it's taking twice as long as those cooking at 250 "grid level".
    Packerland, Wisconsin