Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New member introducing himself

Bkopperl
Bkopperl Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I'm a new BGE ( xl) owner in the Sacramento CA area. Going to do my first cook tomorrow, burgers and grilled onions. No complicated recipes until I'm used to the egg. Found a lot of good ideas and discussions on the forum and look forward to joining in with some of them

Comments

• Yaaaaaay. Nothing is complicated to cook, only to prep.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Actually, your right. The marinade for the onions takes a few minutes, but is well worth the effort.
  • You have a great Egg dealer there in Fair Oaks, David Hill runs a store called "BBQ PRO".  Check it out when you can, David's a good Egg cook with a lot of cooking knowledge...I taught him everything! LOL

Congrats on the new Egg!

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• If you are cooking burgers or anything at high temp ( over 500deg.), don't forget to "burp your egg" or you will have no hair left on your arm.

• Thanks for the advice everyone. I definitely want to try tritp at some point, in a manner which does not involve scalding the flesh from my arms. And I will check out BBQ PROif I get out to Fair Oaks.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Simple is good. Like learning photography with black and white before moving to color.

Welcome to Egghood. Enjoy the ride.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • I am also new to egg land, since August. I,ve made lots of mistakes and these guys have great solutions. I get better every time I fire it up, you will too.
  • Welcome aboard. Does your dealer offer cooking classes? I found that a great resource to exchange ideas. We have a local butcher that supports us also
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57

Fired up the EGG for the first time today.  Just to break it in and see how it functions.  Will cook tomorrow.

Local dealer here in Honolulu cooks for the customers on the weekend.  Not sure if he shares receipes but he certainly helps on equipment ideas.

He has a rather unique smoker on the property.  Built out of 20" steel pipe.  The kind used in drilling for oil.

HIs smoker can do 24 chickens or 10 turkeys at a time. Missed his feed at Thanksgiving but certainly will make the Christmas party. 

I hope to do my first turkey next week.  This forum has been a great help.

Aloha

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

Hi galen-

I am envious of anyone with a 50th State handle-I have been there and lived there not long enough...All that whineing aside, welcome and if you don't find what you need here try www.greeneggers.com . The aforementioned site used to be affiliated with BGE but that all changed several months ago.  The search function there, while with limitations does house a repository of info from several years of experience with many who will offer to help with any topics.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Did my first cook with the egg yesterday. Due to human error, the egg took much longer to reach temp, but I figured out my mistakes and how to correct them ( too little charchol, shutting the lid too soon, not opening the top damper all the way), but the burgers and grilled onions came out great. Next weekend off I will try again weather permitting. Thanks for all the advice and support.
  • I learn something new every time I use the egg, don't be afraid to try new techniques