Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need your two cents for my New Year's Eve Green Egg Food of Choice to Feed Lots of People

chesbaybq
chesbaybq Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hello fellow Egg Heads.  I'm a few meals into my first BGE (cedar plank salmon, pizza with the kids, brined beer can smoked chicken and seared rib eyes).  I'm addicted and have a BGE accessory showing up on my door step every day.  
Love the forum and look forward to trying everyone's "tricks of the trade," recipes and, sooner or later, table designs on the site.  Next on the list is Car Wash Mike's Ribs - RIP and guide me on this one Mike.

To my question at hand.  We're having a New Year's Eve party and I'm hoping to get some recommendations on what to cook on the Egg that will feed a lot of people.....taste good......and make me the envy of the neighborhood :-)

Initial thoughts include pork shoulder, ham and then the ideas stop coming.  I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this one and promise not to drunk dial you at midnight and tell you how great the recommendation turned out.

Comments

• Maybe a boston butt for pulled pork. If you really wanna impress, make some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos wrapped with bacon. Mix a little powdered ranch dressing mix and shredded cheddar with the cream cheese. A little time consuming for a crowd but they are out of this world!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Chicken wings .... moinkballs .... stuffed mushrooms
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    ham or maybe prime rib.  pulled pork doesn't strike me as very 'holiday', but it depends what your party is about. 
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • If you are from the South pulled pork is very Holidayish and delicious and people love it and need it and will love you for giving them that need......

thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • stike
    i wasn't making a judgement about it....
    i'm not from the south
  • JeffM
    JeffM Posts: 103
    I am from the south and when I think New Years I think pork tenderloins or maybe pork roasts sliced.  Ham is a good option too.  Whatever you do, don't forget the black-eyed peas and cooked cabbage.  :)
  • Love the stuffed jalepeno, wings and other recommendations.  Party doesn't start until 9 so we're not serving a dinner.  I was thinking about pulling something off the BGE around midnight and have enough food for 20 to 30 people to snack on, in addition to other appetizer type food.  Makes me lean toward the boston butt, ham and other large hunks of animal. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    you can do the pulled pork, just dont do bb pull, do a lechon asado pull with mojo dipping sauce and somefancy rice dish

this is a good recipe, dont back off on the garlic, add even more, you cant put too much in this dish, hit the dipping sauce with more lime when serving

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/75109/x/p1
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • looks like lechon asado is definitely a contender.  Rookie question: What's the differences between a pork shoulder and butt?  Besides the obvious.....but dont let that stop any jokes.  Thx
  • stike
    butt is upper part of the shoulder, picnic is the lower
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    We do stone crabs over the holidays and what a treat. If you want to do something from the egg what about racks of lamb. When they are cut they can also be eaten as finger food. Makes a nice platter of little meat lollipops.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Stike, I was not making a judgement towards your non judgmental judgement.  I know you are not from the South, cause you are not southern.  And you like Hockey! haha

paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Fishless and fellow soon-to-be-cooking on the BGE Eggheads-
    I'm going with the lechon asado pulled pork with the mojo dipping sauce for the New Years Eve party. I did the bourbon maple glazed smoked ham for Xmas and it was awesome. I even have leftovers that I'll be serving on NYE.

I just mixed up the marinade and have the butt taking a bath for 24 hours. I don't see how the marinade is supposed to end up with a thick salad dressing like consistency with all the liquids. Mine did not come out thick. I did add a little molasses and brown sugar which I hope the sugars won't cause me any problems.

It's my "virgin" pork shoulder on the BGE so I think I'll be okay if that's the worst of my problems over the next 48 hours.

Wish me luck and standby.