Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

eye of round

uncledave
uncledave Posts: 90
edited December 2011 in Beef
I picked up a small eye of round roast. Any suggestions on cooking it? I like med. rare. Will this cut work for that?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Eye of round tends to be quite lean, but also a little tough. I would cook it on the Egg indirect with a dome temperature of 350 - 400. The standard cook book times for most beef roasts is 1/2 hour per pound, but you probably will get to med. rare faster than that.

Slice thin, and maybe steam the slices for a minute or two before serving.

Or, because the eye of round is often cut into steaks, cut the roast into maybe 1/2" slices, marinade, and then sear each piece for just a minute.
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Howdy uncledave.
    gdenby has solid advice as usual. Definitely not past medium rare, and slice thin against the grain.

I personally like to cook them direct at about 275-300.  Flip/roll every 10 minutes or so to slowly build up a lucious crust.  I pull at 125 (tops) when cooking direct, as you'll get some carryover cooking during the rest.

Enjoy!
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ