Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Round Pizzas?

Options
EggerinMO
EggerinMO Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been making pizzas for some time now, and everything is going well except for all my pizzas are not round more like deformed creatures. Anyone have a method for getting the perfect round pizza..

L and MM

Egging in the Ozarks

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    EggerinMO,[p]Roll the dough out larger than you need and then cut it as round as you want. Another method is to roll the edges up to where it is round. Real pizza is NEVER round!![p]Dave
  • Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    EggerinMO,
    You are in good company with an inability to get round pies. I have seen some of the new silicone baking sheets that have rings drawn on them that may help with forming a round cirlce pie.[p]As for me, I like the deforms; the random shapes make them all home made! [p]I'm glad to hear that the only issue with your pizzas are the shape :) LOL[p]Banker John

• EggerinMO
    Options
    Old Dave,[p]If real pizza is not round I must be doing something right :-)[p]Thanks for the ideas[p]EggerinMO

L and MM

Egging in the Ozarks

• EggerinMO
    Options
    Banker John,[p]I am going have to find one of thoes baking sheets[p]Thanks[p]EggerinMO
    L and MM

Egging in the Ozarks

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    623f6422.jpg
    <p />EggerinMO,[p]I agree with the others, round is not that big of a deal. When I use a pizza screen I sort of stretch and form the dough before adding the toppings. When I make them on a peel they always come out kind of oblong. [p]<html><font size="3.5" color="green">~thirdeye~</font></html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    EggerinMO,
    They are everywhere now. I bought some at Kitchen Collection at the outlet mall at The Lake of The Ozarks. Along with a couple bundt cake pans.
    It will take sometime to learn to use. They need extra heat and longer cooking times.
    I've got mixed results.[p]Mike

• UnConundrum
    UnConundrum Posts: 536
    Options
    EggerinMO,
    Afer all the other posts, if you still want round pizza, pay attention to the earlier stages. We make our dough in advance, often a day ahead by design. The shape you store the dough in, and the manner in which you achieve that shape has a big bearing on the final result. You want to shape it into smooth, tight, round balls, and let it rest. If you start to shape the final product from a round ball (or disk if it's rested properly) you'll be way ahead of the game.

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    EggerinMO,
    There's restaurant in Providence RI, Al Forno, that lays claim to have invented grilled pizzas. Story goes that he started more than 20 years ago. Kind of a tony place with a $$$ hefty get in for a meal. I've had the pizzas and I have to admit they weren't too bad . . . then at the first Eggffest I had pizzas made by Spin and Ms. Spin and that boy at Al Fornos can charge all he wants I'll never go back! Spin, if you read the forum, you and the Ms. spoiled me on pizza. Thanks buddy. ;>)

• Puj
    Puj Posts: 615
    Options
    EggerinMO,[p]From time to time someone lobs the "how-to" question on shaping a pizza. So here is the link to a "how-to" video published a couple of years ago on shaping pizza dough. Take a look if you like.[p]*Note: This time around I reviewed the clip using QuickTime. I couldn't bring the clip up to view using RealPlayer. [p]Puj
    [ul][li]Shaping Pizza Dough[/ul]
  • Unknown
    Options
    EggerinMO,[p]Non Round pizzas have more character! Plus it shows you took the time to handmake the dough. Just my thoughts.[p]Bullet