Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Which CI grate?

njl
njl Posts: 1,123
edited December 2011 in EGG Table Forum
The original [enamel?] coated grate on my large BGE is kind of deteriorating, and I'm thinking about getting a CI replacement.  I'm looking at the Craycort (modular) and Music City (solid) ones.  The two tier Ceramic Grillworks one is tempting too...but with each of these "upgrades", the price about doubles, from a low of $39 to a high of $143 delivered.  Is the swing rack worth it?

Comments

• Since getting my swing rack I've thrown my stock grate away and have never looked back. Now my grates are so seasoned and so nonstick there's nothing out there that's any better. You won't regret the purchase, the quality is top notch. Highly worth it in my opinion.
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    Who sells the swing rack?.
  • Ceramic grillworks. Go to ceramicgrillworks.com and go into the webstore to see it. They also have videos posted to see it in action.
  • smokeyj
    smokeyj Posts: 340
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Grill n chillin. I have the swing rack and it's great. It's like buying two cast iron grates. Plus how useful it is to get to the bottom food. Most of my cooking during the week I have veggies and potato's up top and meat on the bottom. Swing the grate out to easily access the the meat.
  • I have the CI grill from Ceramic grill works and love the swing out grill.  Only problem is that when the bottom CI grill gets hot it warps (center becomes higher than outer edges)  causing the swing grill to have a slight angle and anything that has the possibility to roll will roll off the upper grill or to the edges of the lower grill.  For that reason I would not recomend this grill nor would I purchase one again for my other egg. Anyone else have this problem with the grill?
  • Hey Rick. Can't say I've had that happen to me. What temps are you cooking at? Have you called them to discuss it? Keep us posted on any other problem. I've been using mine since March with no problem.
  • Doesn't need to be really hot to cause this.  My cooks are usually in the 350-400 degree range. Haven't cooked any high temp cooks yet.  Only had the CI grill for about 1 month or so and it did this from day one. Just thought it was part of cooking with CI.  It's not like it's abig problem but it is very annoying and depending on what I cook I'll switch back to the standard BGE grate.

• smokeyj

Rick I would call. I have been using mine since March and I just got one for my weber kettle a couple weeks ago and I have not had any warping. I even used mine grate from my ceramic in my kettle right on top of the weber holders and that hasn't even warped it. Until I bought the one for the Weber.

• Rick I know the guys there pretty good I can bring it to their attention. They don't participate on the forum as they have their own. But I can tell them about you and your issue. Only if you want me to.
  • I would really appreciate that.  I most likely would not be able to call them until next week.  Don't know why this gril would do that. I know when I ordered it it was back-ordered and out of stock.  Maybe a problem with this batch? Don't know.  Thanks again. I will be able to check email should they want to email me, other wise I'll call next week.

Rick

• No worries I'm sure they may want to contact you directly as soon as I tell them.
  • Hey maybe you should post on their forum you may get a faster response. Besides I'm sure they may have to look you up. Just a thought. But I'll tell them tomorrow.
  • I Purchased a 2 tier rack from ceramic grillworks in the spring of this year. I have used it at least 50 times for everything from low and slow to 750+ searing of meat. I'm very happy with my purchase and ordered one for my father for Christmas. It will last as long as the grill and I haven't had any warping issues like Rick.
    I just thought I would give you my preference on a rack system.
  • Okay, here's an update.  Frank from The Ceramic Grill store tracked me down, with help from Grillin n Chillin, and called me to see if he could help with the warping propblem I am having with my grill.  He was very concerned with the issue I am having and advised that he has sold numerous of these grills without incident. He reviewed my set-up with me to make sure I had set it up properly.  After going through the process and verifying I did have it assembled and set up properly he offered to replace it with a new one.  Frank is going to ship one out to me as soon as they get more in stock (backordered) and I will return the one I have so they can inspect it. So it seems that they have many satisfied customers that are using their grate without incident and no warping problems.  I'll keep you posted on my experience with the new one they are sending and let you know if that problem goes away.  In the meantime my opinion on the grill may have been made using a defective grill, so basing you purchase decision on my opinion at this time may not be fair, but I will say the customer service is outstanding. BTW, I do really like the swing out grate feature. I'll keep you all posted. Thanks GnC for your help, I was going to call them next week and was very surprised when Frank called me today.

• My pleasure Rick. There good guys and I'm sure they will take care of you. I'm not part of their organization but because there are a start up and are local to me I wanna help them out. I'll be curious to see what happens. Be sure to keep us posted.
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    I just purchsed two of the swing out grates from Ceramic Grillworks one for myself and one for my girlfriends dad for xMas.  So far, I have grilled on mine several times and its awesome.  Doing some grilling for a holiday party this weekend, so I'll get to really load it up!  B-)
  • Shop here. Best place for what you are looking for. Their accessories and the versatility of them are second to none. As is their quality and customer service.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/
  • smokeyj

If your looking for the two tier swing grate you can't get at Ceramic Grill store. That one is from Ceramic GrillWorks www.ceramicgrillworks.com. Both have very good customer service and quality products.

• I have to say I've really been satisfied with the 2 tier rack and the customer service is top notch
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    I am also quite pleased with the CGW two tier system.  Great accessory-adjustable height and the swivel makes easy access. I'm very satisfied although to be fair I have not used anything from cgs-know a few eggers who do use the cgs AR and like it but you have fixed heights and have to work for below the top level access. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever choice you make.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    I have stopped useing my CI's for both Large and Small. Found I like the new SS by BGE better. Can live w/o the "marks" and the SS is so much lighter when needing to move around.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    What's an SS grate?.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Stanless Steel. BGE makes for all size eggs.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hey I just tried to go out to ceramicgrillworks.com but the site is
    down.  I contacted the guys out there and it turns out their having a
    hardware issue which has taken their site down.  They asked me to
    intervene and direct everyone interested in the 2 tier rack to checkout
    the videos on you tube.  Just search for cgwsales and their videos will
    come up.

I don't work them just doing them a favor since their local to me and a start up shop.
  • Hey I just tried to go out to ceramicgrillworks.com but the site is
    down.  I contacted the guys out there and it turns out their having a
    hardware issue which has taken their site down.  They asked me to
    intervene and direct everyone interested in the 2 tier rack to checkout
    the videos on you tube.  Just search for cgwsales and their videos will
    come up.

I don't work them just doing them a favor since their local to me and a start up shop.

Sure you don't. LOL.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Like Mickey, I ought a SS grid for my large when they first came ou.  Love it.  Now I just use a small CI grid down in a spider to sear hot-tub steaks.

B-)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Hey Chris,

Be nice now. Lol.
  • Like Mickey, I ought a SS grid for my large when they first came ou.  Love it.  Now I just use a small CI grid down in a spider to sear hot-tub steaks.

B-)

I just got a SS grid the other day to replace my porcelain one that came with my Egg. I love it. I also use the cast iron and spider combo. Plus I have Grill Grates which are awesome and much better than the large cast iron grid in my opinion.

Chillin I was just messing with ya.

Happy Egging and Merry Christmas everyone.
  • Back at ya Chris.....and no offense taken