Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ribs and a question

Options
wingfoot
wingfoot Posts: 95
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I cooked my first bunch of ribs on the egg yesterday. One rack of spareribs and a rack of babybacks. The spares were the second best I've ever had...... Willingham's in Memphis being the best. I coated them with mustard and used a dry rub (Wham) and cooked them at 220 direct for about 5 hours. My wife is not a rib-eater but I made her try a couple. I knew they were a success when she went for seconds. [p]I'm doing a pork tenderloin today. I want to cook some baked potatoes along with it. My question is:[p]Do you wrap them in foil on the egg? I've heard that it isn't necessary. Also, how hot and how long for bakers?[p]Thanks in advance.[p]Mike

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Options
    wingfoot,[p]We wrap the bakers in foil and cook like we would in the oven. 90% of the time we slice in quarters add a stick of butter to each tater, a good rub you like and cook direct for 45 minutes at 400. Wrapped in foil.[p]Mike
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    wingfoot,[p]
    I like to take a sheet of HD foil, make a pile of unpeeled thin sliced potatoes & onion, add some crushed garlic, salt & pepper and any other seasoning, some butter & olive oil. Seal three sides of the foil, add some liquid (beer, broth or just water) and seal the pouch. At 300° grate temp these will take around 45 minutes to an hour. If you are careful, you can unwrap & peek in to check doneness.[p]<html><font size="3.5" color="green">~thirdeye~</font></html> [p][p]

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • BBCause
    BBCause Posts: 22
    Options
    thirdeye, We tried them your way last week and they were great.

• egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    wingfoot,
    I cooked some bakers last week and they turned out fantastic. Used plate setter and pizza stone and laid them on the stone (unwrapped) at 350 degrees for about 1 hour.

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    BBCause,[p]Other than sharing it, I can't take credit for that method of taters..... I think the first time I saw it was in the Boy Scouts Cookbook. Char-Woody does a version with parsley and Worchestershire sauce added.[p]<html><font size="3.5" color="yellowgreen">~thirdeye~</font></html>

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Unknown
    Options
    wingfoot,
    the secret of a great baked potato is to cook the moisture out of it. Pierce it with a fork so the moisture can escape and then cook it on hight heat unwrapped. In a house oven 450 degrees for about an hour. Sometimes after the hour cook I will open it and place back in oven for 10 minutes to release more moisture. Also try peeling the potato rubbing it with oil and cooking as above. A nice crust will form.