Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Beef

Cutlet
Cutlet Posts: 7
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I am thinking of doing a roast for Christmas dinner and want to know what is the best cut or what is the cut to buy for roast beef.  Also any good recipes for doing this on the egg?  Thanks.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Consider a prime rib roast (standing rib roast). Its all the prime rib steaks before they are cut apart. There are many Eggers who have cooked them. Use the search function.

It is a most sumptuous roast. Tenderloin roasts are also very good. 

Lots of people like tri-tip. I can't comment on that. I've only seen them recently where I live. Do a search on Santa Maria tri-tip.
  • rodent
    rodent Posts: 106
    I'm going to try one of those whole butcher yourself rib steak from Costco/SAMs club for Xmas.
  • Shwiezzee
    Shwiezzee Posts: 304
    edited December 2011
    gdenby is spot on. Both are easy and are great cooks. If you are cooking the tri-tip watch your temp it's a beautiful lean cut, easy to over shoot temp. As I found out on my first tri-tip, Hmmm it may have been the wine too. 
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

Here's something I've done. Cooked Standing Rib Roast in a roast pan on a rack at 500 for 45 minutes, reduced heat to 325 for 30 minutes, then get the heat back up to 450 for 15-30 minutes, or until internal is 125. Pull off the grill, foil tightly and let rest for 20-30 minutes and it is medium rare.

For gravy, I pour out all but 1 TBS. of drippings from the roast pan. Then on high heat on the stove, I add 1/2 a chopped onion and some butter to deglaze the good stuff. Mix in 3 TBS. of all purpose flour, whisking constantly and add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, continue whisking until it boils. Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream and some chopped parsley and cook for another minute. This isn't low cal, but it is really good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray

Here's a great recipe for a mild horse radish sauce. This is also good on baked potatoes and asparagus.

1-1/2 cups good mayo, 3 Tbs Dijon mustard, 1-1/2 Tbs Whole grain mustard, 1 Tbs prepared horse radish, 1/3 cup sour cream, and 1/4 tsp kosher salt. Mix it all together and enjoy.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Yes I may do a prime rib roast which I have not done yet, or a Tri tip which I have done a few times and they are always good!  Thanks.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Here's something I've done. Cooked Standing Rib Roast in a roast pan on a rack at 500 for 45 minutes, reduced heat to 325 for 30 minutes, then get the heat back up to 450 for 15-30 minutes, or until internal is 125. Pull off the grill, foil tightly and let rest for 20-30 minutes and it is medium rare.

For gravy, I pour out all but 1 TBS. of drippings from the roast pan. Then on high heat on the stove, I add 1/2 a chopped onion and some butter to deglaze the good stuff. Mix in 3 TBS. of all purpose flour, whisking constantly and add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, continue whisking until it boils. Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream and some chopped parsley and cook for another minute. This isn't low cal, but it is really good.

May I ask why chicken stock and not beef stock?
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • billyray
    That's all I had at the time and what Paul Prudhommes recipe called for in another recipe. I don't think it matters, I'll be making some tonight with beef stock, because that's all I've got now.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Interesting .... thanks!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I've also bought the large cryovac sealed rib eye portion and cut my own boneless rib roasts (around here I can't find any bulk sections with bones still on them).  They come out great.  I also cook them for a while at high temp to sear them well, then reduce the temp to 350 for the remainder of the cook (I leave the roast in while the temperature reduces). I don't raise the temp again.  This seems to work very well.

Two great sites with information on cooking rib roasts are:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxprimerib.htm
    and
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA