Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Shrimp on the Barbie

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

Friday night we were looking for something quick and easy. Mrs. G suggested shrimp and it was on! Love shrimp on the Egg. Served up with some asparagus and some rice and we were good to go. You can check out the details and see more pictures here:

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2011/11/21/shrimp-on-the-barbie/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited November 2011
    Love shrimp on the grill, those look great.
    I like your asparagus technique and can't wait to try the "rice trick".  White rice is so boring.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Thanks for looking. Although I had heard of the rice trick, that was all my wife's doing and it really helps turn boring rice into a very nice side dish. I went back for seconds.

Rowlett, Texas

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    The shrimp looks great. We have shrimp alot, here's what we do. Marinate the 21-25 count size peeled and deveined, tails on shrimp from Costco, in 1/4 cup EVOO, along with 1 tsp. kosher salt, 1 tsp. granulated garlic, 1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper and 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper. Mix this all together, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Skewer on pre soaked skewers and cook at 325-350 for approximately 2 minutes a side, until opaque in color. Nice little kick from the peppers.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • I am glad I read this post and clicked on your link. Nice alternitive meal that we will have to try this week.
  • Griffin
    Thanks, billyray and canoe. Your shrimp sounds good, might have to try it, billy.

Rowlett, Texas

• billyray
    Be careful, if you try it, it'll become a keeper. The only problem we had is when we share it with others, then every time we get invited to a potluck they want us to bring the shrimp!
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • billyray
    Here's what I was warning you about. We got invited to a party of 30 people yesterday, when I asked what we could bring the answer was shrimp. I took over 100 bbqed shrimp and they were gone in about 20 minutes. This is getting expensive!
  • Griffin
    I can imagine. Shrimp ain't cheap.

Rowlett, Texas

• how long do those asparagus boats stay on?

Greygoose
  • Griffin
    Depends on how well you like them cooked and how thick they are. I'd say start with about 5 minutes and adjust from there.

Rowlett, Texas

• Awesome asparagus technique. I'll have to try it. It beats my tin foil boat with EVOO and garlic method.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • billyray
    We've been doing asparagus in a paper bag in the oven for years. I'm going to try it on my Egg this weekend. In a baking dish put the asparagus and coat with EVOO. Toss with kosher salt and pepper to taste and then put them in a grocery store size paper bag, add 2 slices of lemon and a bay leaf. Rub the complete outside of the bag with cooking oil, so it won't burn and fold the bag. Put the bag on a sheet pan and cook at 350 for about 20 minutes, delicious!
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    asparagus - teriyaki sauce - sesame seeds - we love this

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • Griffin
    I'll have to try that Mr. Toad. Possible tonight along with the salmon I was going to do. Got an asian inspired salmon recipe?

Rowlett, Texas