Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does 275 burn rib ends?

rahimlee54
rahimlee54 Posts: 4
edited December 2011 in Forum List
The last time I made ribs the cooker got up to 275 for an hour or so, the rib ends where it gets thin on BB or STL style chars to much when this happens.  Could my thermometer need to be calibrated or does this usually happen.  I usually like my ribs at 225.  I did the 2-2-2 and 2-2-1.  The middle of the ribs were fine and there was only one slab each time as that is enough for my wife and myself.

Thanks
Jared

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    sure.  they are 'burnt', but not by high heat.  no oxygen, plus extended heat, will cause your meats to carbonize.  that's what's really happening.  it happens with burning, sure, just faster and with flame.

next day you'll often find unused chips have turned to charcoal. sorta the same thing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • So is there anyway I can keep the ends from doing this or is it just part of the process?  I usually use the chips as fuel for the next cook, so I am aware of what you are talking about.
  • The ribs taste awesome, I am just trying to get my technique as good as I can.  My wife and I both eat the carbonized portion, I just want to make sure I am doing all I can.

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2011
    You can wrap the thin ends in foil after they pull back

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ribmaster
    ribmaster Posts: 209
    If you are using a plate setter try to make sure the small end of rib is over a leg near the front. it seems most eggs run a little hotter near the back and between the legs. I place my platesetter with one leg at the rear and put the small end of ribs over a leg on the front. The foil will help also.
    I grill therefore I am.....not hungy.