Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Determining Air Gaps in Gasket

Royal Coachmen
Royal Coachmen Posts: 283
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading some articles on temperature maintenance. Since I have some difficulty getting my egg to extremely high temperatures (my egg has no problem between 250-375) I think I could be losing air through the gaskets (or just not burning enough charcoal. I only occasionally fill the fire box to the brim with charcoal.

In any event, what I continue to read seems to indicate that it is important to keep the gasket in good shape. Being a newer guy to the egg...how can I tell if mine is in good shape? How can I tell if it needs replaced? How can I tell if it's leaking air? Thanks!

Russ

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Reaching high temperatures is all about air flow in through your bottom vent and out the top vent. That's all there is to it.  A large majority of the time, if you're unable to get your temps up, it's probably a clogged charcoal grate.

Gasket would have nothing to do with whether you can get your temp up.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    daisy wheel off, bottom vent open, and make sure the fire grate isn't clogged.

plenty of fuel, and a little time, and that's it.

lighter lump will hit high heat faster, but denser lump will last longer at high temps.

a less-used egg often takes a lot longer to hit the desired temp because it can be very damp, even wet (especially if it has rained a lot recently).

there's not much else that can keep the thing from taking off
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • You mentioned you were using charcoal. If you are using charcoal and not hard wood lump it is going to be very difficult to get much above 375 - 400. Charcoal does not burn nearly as hot as lump.
  • Greygoose
    Greygoose Posts: 103
    edited December 2011
    Take a look at how your lighting your fire. if your only lighting one area (i.e. with a firestick in the middle), you may want to try a little experiment. try lighting 4 or 5 different areas of your lump at the same time. i'm noticed that when i use a firestick in the middle of the lump (also depends on the lump), that it takes quite a while to get temps really hot. if i get multiple places going at the same time, fire needs to be watch so it doesn't get out of control. try the rubbing alcohol test also. Make sure your vents are wide open (top and bottom).  take 60ml of 91% rubbing alcohol and squirt it all around your pile of lump. Let it sit for about 30 seconds, then throw a match in there (while standing back a bit). your whole pile of lump should catch on fire. after about 5 minutes the flame mayl almost go out but all the lump will be ignited. Wait 10 minutes and report your finding back to the forum. 

BTW, make sure use a wiggle rod or something after loading your lump into the egg to make sure the grate holes arent clogged.

Greygoose