Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Building a table for the xl.

Options
fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited December 2011 in EGG Table Forum

I'm trying to decide what kind of table to build for my XL. Most of the tables I see are the egg in type. The egg actually sets in the table through a hole cut in the top shelf. I see that this desighn is the best at securing the egg , and no doubt desirable if using an egg that moves around or is a little tippy.

The XL is neither it's like a linebacker down and ready. It don't move!  So what would be the advantage of putting an XL in a table versus on a table?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    Options
    No reason at all you couldn't put your XL "on" a table.  I have an XL and know it would take a truck hitting it to tip it over!   To me it's just a functional thing - your table top and cooking grid are at about the same level (within a few inches) with this traditional egg type table.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• fairchase
    Options

I'm thinking about the L style table. Egg sitting on the lower level table , and the table top stopping at the edge of the egg. If the lower table is only say 30" I could have a full height cabinet under a 30" table top on the other side.   Does this make any sense ?

• upnsmoke
    Options
    I got a butcher block table, put the egg IN the table building a second shelf for it to rest on. IF you build the table for an XL, the plans from the BGE site calls for a 12.5" clearance from the top of the shelf to the top of the table. I got fancy and recessed the pave-stone so it was not just sitting on the second shelf... Opps the hinges hit the table. To be clear, you need 10.5 inches from the top of what your egg is sitting on to the top of the table.