Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Recipe

bigguy136
bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
edited November 2011 in Cookbook

I did a search for venison but I can't find anything. Anyone have a good recipe?

Thanks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    what's the cut?

for starters, though, i'd say resist the temptation to marinate it or soak it to "reduce gaminess".  kinda defeats the purpose of having venison.

if a steak i like to do it very rare and serve with a black currant sauce or something similarly

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bigguy136

I have a couple of cuts. One is steaks and the other is a roast. I was thinking of a rub and slow cook like a pork loin on the roast. What is the safe core temp?

Thanks.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• stike
  • bigguy136

Should I butterfly cut it, add a rub and tie back together?

Big Lake, Minnesota

• stike
    not sure why....  my presumption is that you want to taste venison, and that you like it. hahaha hence, no marinades, no rubs in any large amount.

salt, pepper, let it warm up a good bit, and roast at 400 or so

wrapping in bacon will make it taste like bacon, and it doesn't do anything to keep it from drying out.  only overcooking will dry it, so take it as little above 140 as you can.  if it is farmed, you can go rarer.  if wild, i'd advocate 140, thought would be around 130-135 myself.

from an old post off the original forum: "we actually did a pair of venison tenderloins tonight. no marinade. i love the meat as is with salt and pepper.BUT

i
    slammed together a simple sauce that really made it. had some cab
    sauvignon (or shiraz, etc. would work), maybe a cup. added a healthy
    scoop of red currant jelly, and some sage from the garden. plus a bit
    of ginger. let it come to a boil to thicken slightly. HO LEE smokes unbelievable. and it lets the venison shine through."

• bigguy136

I always had venison when I was a kid but I don't hunt and couldn't get any venison. Someone brought in a couple packs for me and I need to figure out what is the right thing to do. Don't want it too gamie but just enough to know it's venison.

Thanks so much.

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I have some very good recipes for cube cuts if anyone wants them.  Let me know.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bigguy136

I have more venison coming. Could I get anything you have?

Thank You

Big Lake, Minnesota

• paulheels
    paulheels Posts: 457
    edited November 2011
    Cube Steak
      For less "gamey".  Soak in Diet Coke for two hours or longer, even overnight.  Take out of coke and tamp dry with paper towel.  Salt and pepper both sides.  cover in mustard, this should be  a light covering.  coat in flour, let sit about ten mintues.  Then Pan fry until done.  

New recipe.  
      Mix soy sauce, Wortscheshire (sp) haha, half Tablespoon wet mustard, Tablespoon of Siracha.  Salt, pepper, paprika, the meat. Soak atleast an hour.  Pour in flour a little at a time until all the meat is coated and the liquid has been soaked up.  The meat does not have to be 'white' with flour, as long as it has some flour.  Pour some oil in a skillet, Cast IRON in preferable.  Then pour just enough milk in the skillet that it almost covers the bottom.  Put meat in skillet, the tighter the better.  Cut an onion, half rounds, and chop three or four cloves of garlic, sprinkle both on the top of the meat.  You can cook in the oven or on the EGG, covered for 30 minutes, uncovered until done! Around 350.  DO NOT turn the meat.  The bottom should create a nice flavorful crust.  

I hope this is useful.  Enjoy!

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bigguy136
    Thank You!

Big Lake, Minnesota

• I'm with stike, don't overcook.  Almost no fat in venison, so pull and foil at around 130-135.  I think the charcoal flavoring of BGE will minimize any gaminess. That sauce sounds yummy.
  • One of my favorite cooks is one I got from this forum.  I like to take deer hams deboned and  marinated overnight in itallian dressing.  Then rinse dressing off meat sprinkle with garlic powder and roast indirect at 300 to 350 until internal hits 150 then I foil.  I usually place bacon over the top while it is roasting.  Whether it makes the meat more moist or not, I don't know but it sure makes it delicious.
  • I have been away from home and my egg for quite a while. First thing I will be doing is shooting a deer(there are tons in the yard and almost a pest in my part of Centeral Texas). Second thing will be doing the wine and  red currant jelly. I cant wait!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I just did a tender loin it was great all i did was a dry rub let set for couple of hours wraped it with bacon and cooked it direct with the raised grate at 400 to 450 turning often to get bacon all crisp when done meat will be done when bacon is all crispy but not burnt
  • Soak overnight submerged in Coca-cola. Pat dry wrap back strap in bacon and cook at 450 or hotter till bacon is done!
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Just make jerky out of it. Lol j/k