Free Range KC Strips...JailBreak Rub (on my blogsite)complimented by Mac and Cheese...recipe follows.
Prep Time about 20 minutes, Cook Time: 40-50 minutes; recipe serves 6-8. The leftovers should make for some mean fried Mac and Cheese cakes!
Tonight's cook we LEFT OUT THE HAM...
1 Lb. Elbow Macaroni
6 Tbsp. Salted Butter
5 Tbsp. Enriched Flour
1 Tbsp. Corn Starch
1 ½ Tbsp. powdered Mustard
¼+ Tsp. Cayenne
4 Cups 2% Organic Milk
1-12 Oz. Can Evaporated Milk
2 Cups Monterey Jack, shredded
1 ½ Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded fine
½ + Cup Sweet Onion, finely diced
½ + Tsp. Paprika
1 ½ Tsp. Kosher Salt
12 – 16 oz. Baked ham, diced (not smoked)
Ham and/or Pea Variation – Add ½ cup frozen peas; substitute deli sliced ham or eliminate the ham altogether.
1 cup Panko Bread Crumbs
¼ of cheeses from recipe
1. Fire up the BGE to full flame and grid on the fire ring then bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
2. Add macaroni and cook to al dente.
3. While the Pasta is cooking melt 5 Tbsp. butter in separate pot on the grid.
4. Whisk in the flour, cayenne, paprika, salt, corn starch, paprika and powdered mustard, stir until slightly browned (keep it moving constantly); simmer for several minutes making sure it is free of lumps.
5. Stir in the milk, evaporated milk and onion. Simmer for ten minutes then stir in 3/4 of the cheese.
6. Fold the diced ham and macaroni into the mix and pour into a 2-quart casserole pan.
7. Top with remaining cheese and Panko bread crumbs.
8. Remove grid and place plate setter legs down (indirect set up). Adjust temperature to 350 degrees. Place a pizza stone on the plate setter and then place casserole pan on stone. Bake for 40 minutes then remove from BGE and rest for TEN (10) minutes before serving.