Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rib eye roast, doing for 1st time

Options
Jrmyers28
Jrmyers28 Posts: 1
edited December 2011 in Beef
I have a 5lb rib roast, i've got it nicely seasoned and wrapped in bacon.  I have never cooked one and not sure on cook times to get to an internal of about 115.. if I am cooking at 250, i think this will take about 3 hours, does that sound right?

Also heard that putting a cup of brandy in the drip pan helps make for a nice gravy.. any thoughts?

Comments

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Here's something I've done. Cooked in a roast pan on a rack at 500 for 45 minutes, reduced heat to 325 for 30 minutes, then get the heat back up to 450 for 15-30 minutes, or until internal is 125. Pull off the grill, foil tightly and let rest for 20-30 minutes and it is medium rare.

For gravy, I pour out all but 1 TBS. of drippings from the roast pan. Then on high heat on the stove, I add 1/2 a chopped onion and some butter to deglaze the good stuff. Mix in 3 TBS. of all purpose flour, whisking constantly and add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, continue whisking until it boils. Add 1 cup heavy whipping cream and some chopped parsley and cook for another minute. This isn't low cal, but it is really good.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2011
    Options

Jrmyers28

Highly reccommend 250*. Three hours is a little long if it is boneless, I get about 25 minutes per pound bone on. I would not use brandy, at least fresh brandy, in the egg but rather let the drippings go brown in the pan and then deglaze with wine on the stove. Add the brandy after and flambe or boil for a bit to get rid of the alcohol. If you have a rig or platesetter, use something as a spacer to keep the pan off it.

Steve 

Caledon, ON