Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rental Property with Eggs?

Hairless_Hand
Hairless_Hand Posts: 214
edited November 2011 in Off Topic
Have you ever rented a house or condo that came with a BGE for a family vacation?  Am I living in an alternate universe?  I do not really care to move my egg for vacation but the family is not willing to eat off of a gasser for a week.  I think I have I created more BGE monsters than I can contain?

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited November 2011
    When we rent, we go to Walmart and buy a cheap charcoal grill with a lid and some lump charcoal.  If I had a rental, there's no way in hell I'd let the renters use any brand of ceramic charcoal grill.  The following photo is cooking a boneless leg of lamb at Hilton Head using Royal Oak and a $10 grill:

The Naked Whiz
  • Not a condo, but there is a charter fishing boat out of Orange Beach that I have been on a few times that has one on it.  The deck hands cook dinner on it on the 24 hour trips.  That was my first experience with an egg, and I wanted one ever since that first trip.  It took me 5 years, but I finally got one.  5 years later, and I haven't looked back.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

@ The Naked Whiz 

A couple of questions, is that a custom wrist strap on your Thermopen?

And, is that grill sitting on pine needles or?

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Nope, that wrist strap came on my T-pen.  It is relatively old, 6-7 years, I'd guess.

And yes those are pine needles.  Life without risk isn't worth living.  But, there was a hose just out of view, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

Now I have to ask ... did you ever use the wrist strap?

Not too much risk ... after all, it's a 'rental' ...  :D

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • Don't care much about the wrist strap. The big question is did you ever have to use the hose :-)
  • Pretty cool tho. Whiz had that $10 special sitting exactly on 250.
  • Didn't have to use the hose.  Didn't have to use the wrist strap.  I suppose I could have snapped the photo just as the cooker rocketed past 250, but yes, I did get the unit stable.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Not a condo, but there is a charter fishing boat out of Orange Beach that I have been on a few times that has one on it.  The deck hands cook dinner on it on the 24 hour trips.  That was my first experience with an egg, and I wanted one ever since that first trip.  It took me 5 years, but I finally got one.  5 years later, and I haven't looked back.
    That same boat was my first time with an egg. We caught some yellowfin and cooked them right there on the boat. I now have a xl and love it. I wish I could remember the name of that boat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • We have a BGE at our home in the Bahamas which we rent BUT - the BGE gets locked up in the garage and a Weber is left out for the guests.  However for this crowd I would consider leaving it out.   You may have hit on a new marketing angle.  :-)  We'll need proof of your Egger Status for sure!  

Brad

Brad B. BGEL, Weber Kettle, Refurbished old Charbroil commercial
  • Like I say, no way I would let the general public use an Egg at a rental house.  Flashbacks.  Tipping it over and breaking it when they pull it across the deck.  Hopefully there are too many auto-lock hinges out there still, but if you had one, guaranteed that someone would force it shut, pop the top out and break it.  Then of course, they will use instant lite briquettes in it.  No way times two.
    The Naked Whiz
  • For you Whiz we'd make an exception
    B-)
    Brad B. BGEL, Weber Kettle, Refurbished old Charbroil commercial
  • If it were me, you should be more worried about burning down the house during an experiment.  The Egg, thought, would be fine, LOL!

The Naked Whiz
    That same boat was my first time with an egg. We caught some yellowfin and cooked them right there on the boat. I now have a xl and love it. I wish I could remember the name of that boat.
    The boat that we used was "Sea Hunter". There was another one just like it that was next to it in the marina, but I don't remember its name. They were both really well known and booked a year in advance.

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    We have a BGE at our home in the Bahamas which we rent BUT - the BGE gets locked up in the garage and a Weber is left out for the guests.  However for this crowd I would consider leaving it out.   You may have hit on a new marketing angle.  :-)  We'll need proof of your Egger Status for sure!  

Brad

weber is fine, just leave me access to a flats boat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it