Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza stone for the small egg

Options
Toy Man
Toy Man Posts: 416
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I remember a post from Banker John saying a 10" pizza stone for the small would be just the perfect size. I don't remember his solution but I recently got a small and the ceramic baking dish. Looking at the baking dish, I was thinking that it would make a great pizza stone if I could remove the the ring on the bottom. Thought about it a few days and decided to try grinding the ring off. I put a masonry disk on my 4 1/2" angle grinder, clamped the baking dish and proceeded to rough grind the ring down to about 1/8" to 1/16". I knew I was not skilled enough to get a smooth surface with the masonry disk so I switched to a 'flap' disk. Sort of hard to describe if you haven't seen one but it worked like magic. I had a perfectly smooth surface (except for the cast in characters)in a few minutes.[p]Cooked a pizza on it last night - worked great.[p]Toy Man

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Toy Man,
    man, what a great IDEA? I am tool deficient:( and small deficient. I just got tax return and am now planning for the small soon. Might have to wait till Florida Eggfest.[p]Banker John

• Unknown
    Options
    Mr. Toy Man,[p]You are right in that a 10" in diameter stone for the small Egg is the perfect size for this fine little cooker. With a hearthstone this size, you can bake all afternoon and everything will all come out the same. Problem is, that no one in the world makes a hearthstone between 8 and 12" in diameter. However, there is a company that makes kiln shelves 10" in diameter and while that are not designed for hearth baking, they will work well in this small cooker if you stack them as they are pretty thin. [p]22MVC-008E.jpg[p]The above picture shows a 10" pizza on the small. This was done on the Kiln shelves. This was the first of three pizzas that was done on the cooker at this time. [p]23MVC-015E.jpg[p]This picture shows a large loaf of sourdough hearth bread about ready to come off the cooker. [p]All of this information has been posted on the forum for several years and can be found quite easily. [p]Dave