Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled pork serving/holding suggestions

pmnhsn5
pmnhsn5 Posts: 21
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I am looking for away to serve pulled pork so it will stay as moist and warm as possible for as long as a few hours. Suggestions ?

Comments

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I served pulled pork today for a group at lunch.  Used a large crock pot and added a sauce for moisture along with the pulled pork.  In about 1 1/2 hours the pork was warmed up with the crock pot on high setting.   Serving this way the meat stays hot and moist as long as the lid is replaced after dishing out each time.
  • I normally wrap in heavy duty foil and couple towels. Place in dry cooler and it stays warm for several hours. Pull and serve
    Large & MiniMax in Lexington, KY
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Use any container that you can keep heated at 150º with a cover will do the job.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I was referring to keeping it warm after it has been pulled. I had used a big oval crock but i think the lid was left off to much between servings. Maybe returning the lid promptly after each serving and adding some sauce would help. I guess keeping air from drying it out is the key. I was thinking of some water based heating that would use steam to help keep it moist.
    Any thoughts?
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Costco often has the maitre d' hotel pans for a good price.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• If the lid is going to stay off we just stir it with a large serving spoon every 15 minutes and bring the hotter food and liquids from the bottom to the top.
  • PaulT
    PaulT Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    I cook my pulled pork 20-22 hours and aim for 2 hours before I want to serve.  After I pull the butt(s) I put them in a cooler, covered with foil and a towel/blanket or two.  They will stay perfectly for at least 2 hours before I have to shred them.  That allows me to be the good host not fussing over the grill.  Which removes a lot of stress on my part too.