Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Venison Recipes from you Hunters !

Options
bschroed
bschroed Posts: 29
edited December 2011 in EggHead Forum
Hey , have any good recipes to share with venison on the BGE. I have 2 front shoulders, and wanting to do something on the egg with them. Anyone ever none this ?

Comments

• Bamafan55
    Options

Take some venison roast meat slice 1/4" thick like for jerky

VERY LITTLE Dale's on each piece

Salt n Pepper rub

slice Jalapeno or Chipote pepper 

VERY SMALL DOLLOP of cream cheese

place pepper of choice & cream cheese on meat about 1/3 way

Start end that has pepper/cream cheese roll meat

toothpick it

Setup BGE at 350 without plate setter

Cook over flame for a couple minutes on each side

Move to edge until cream cheese oozes out.

Enjoy

• forty_crk
    Options

If you want to cook em whole.  I like to soak em in whole milk for 24 hours in the fridge.  Remove shoulder from milk.  Place in another pan and massage red wine vinegar all over shoulder place back in fridge 2-4 hours.  Then apply your favorite rub.  I like to cook mine slow n low (250) with indirect heat and a drip pan (sometimes I will put beer, 7Up, apple cider or something in the drip pan just depends on my mood).  Sometimes I do not put anything in the drip pan.  Time depends on size of shoulder.  Vension does not take as long to cook as regular meat- IMO.  I have a cheap temp guage from walmart so I can watch the meat temp w/ out opening the lid.  It has a long temp needle connected to a wire that is connected to a timer and temp reading.  The wire is small enuf u can close the lid on it and the gasket will still seal off.  I do not know what it is called or the brand it is just cheap and simple and works for me.

Some folks say its a waste but I have cut em up and made jerky on the egg...

Good Luck!

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Steeler Fan
    Options
    There are hundreds of recipes available. Try "YB" recipe of 2005. works well. Go to Dizzy Pig, I think that you could use the Lamb mutton recipe and adjust it to venison. Check third eye website. I personally just inject with apple cider, rub it with DP Red Eye express. Indirect, place setter legs up, Steam pan fill with apple cider, add stem of rosemary and some more Red Eye. Temperature 225-250 until 145 degrees  or as you like. Shoulder can also be deboned and stuffed with creamed spinach. Enjoy.