Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st. time--mixed feelings

Options
g-o
g-o Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well we brought the little guy (small egg) home on Fri. afternoon. Had to hurry around and finish building the table to set him in, just have the wheels left to install. Got a fire going around 4 and fooled around with temp. for an hr. or so. Had a rack of ribs with JJ's rub on ready to go so put them on around 5pm. I have to say I was not prepared for way the egg cooks. I guess I was expecting more action, but it just sits there with the slightest bit of smoke coming out. I kept saying the stupid thing must be out, but my wife said the temp. was hanging around 230 so it must be working. Leave it to a woman to use the common sense approach. Anyway, the ribs came off about 9 and they were dry. Tasted good but we like em more juicy. Temp. too high for too long I think.
Sat. am. put 4 turkey drumsticks on -- too much smoke, cooked too long again.
Sat. pm. got a pizza ready. Put firebricks on, second grill on, 13" pizza stone on top. Closed lid & tried to get temp up. Everything wide open, fire looks like red hot blast furnace--temp reads only about 300. GUESS WHAT!! If you raise a 13" pizza stone up on bricks in a small egg and close the lid-the stone touches the lid all around and effectively seals off the top. Pizza less than perfect for sure. Guess I'll try a meatloaf today. Persevere, persevere. Gord

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    g-o,
    Temp for the ribs (230*-250*) is right on the money. Time way too long. 3.5 to 4 hrs max and turn every 45 min. Watch your cooking times as the EGG does cook faster than other cookers.
    Feel free to ask for assistance prior to your cook. Lots of great advice out there to help.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    g-o, [p]Your a riot....Well...you solved the Pizza stone problem. Find yourself a table saw, a stone cutting blade (masonary blade)and make yourself equal cut's around the edges to allow air movement, octagon shape, and it will work next time. Or buy a smaller pizza stone! Turkey leg's? Pre-cooked or raw fresh? If raw fresh, then about 300 F over a fire barrier (pan/bricks/stone) for a hour or so. Should be moist and like most TL's!
    Cheers..C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    JJ, I see your up too...hows the coffee??

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Char-Woody,
    Gone

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Options
    Ah-Ha got me an idea. Took the turkey meat and the rib meat and ran it thru the meat grinder, added a lb. of hamburger, an onion, a sweet red pepper, an egg, some ketchup, salt, pepper, garlic, worcestershire sauce, and a dab of hot pepper sauce. Meatloaf is cookin....