Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much lump difference between the lg and the xl.

fairchase
fairchase Posts: 312
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum

I just bought a Xl from my dealer . I haven't taken possesion of it yet , and am wondering if I should have gotten the lg. Dealer will swap them out if I desire.

Here is what I'm thinking.

Pros.

I like the extra grid space on the Xl . It would come in handy some times since I like cooking  4-5 slabs of ribs sometimes , and I like them flat.

Also 11 -12 # packer brisket or briskets

Also it would be nice to keep the meat on 1 level ( 2 levels never get done at the same time for me).

20+ burgers if need be. 

Cons .

Lump usage.

How much lump is the xl going to burn during a 18hr cook vs the Lg ?

I know the xl will burn more , but for those who have cooked on both how much more?

Comments

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Easy.  Go with the XL for the larger grid space and buy a lump reducing ring for use on your smaller cooks.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    I have an XL and I have never used a lump "reducer" ... I typically use < 3lbs even on long burns - I know this because I get 3-4 cooks out even out a 10lb bag.  It doesn't take a lot....
  • My XL does not use "alot" of lump on long cooks.  I use a reducer, from Lowes, for steaks and burgers when it is just my wife and I.  I like doing that after a few cooks, when I clean the egg out.  I will fill up the reducer and toss the old small lump in the garden.  When I am done, I let the coal burn to 500 or so until it is used up.  I put the plate setter and daisy wheel in at that time for a good cleaning.

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Easy.  Go with the XL for the larger grid space and buy a lump reducing ring for use on your smaller cooks.

Mike

Omaha, NE

I have seen these  , but don't really get it. Can you explain the benifit ?

I would think it's like a car that gets 20 mpg. If you drive 40 miles you will burn 2 gallons of gas weither you have the gas tank full or just put 4 gallons in it.

• I have an XL and I have never used a lump "reducer" ... I typically use < 3lbs even on long burns - I know this because I get 3-4 cooks out even out a 10lb bag.  It doesn't take a lot....
    3 Lbs on a long burn with an XL? How many hours are we talking here ? I would have thought the lg  would burn more than that in 18 hrs.
  • you will be surprised at how efficient the egg is on low cooks.  I do not know how many lbs I use, I just fill up the fire box and let it go.  
  • I have the XL... I burned fuel up to the max on the fire ring for 19 hours... no refill. Probably about 12 lbs of fuel cooking a 14 lb packer. But it was well worth it. slept like a baby.,.. in the morning temp was holding strong at 225...pulled the brisket about two hours later. Brought the temp of the dome back up to 400 to finish off the Mac and Cheese..... everyone I kmnow with an egg is happy with it.... but most large owners wich they would have gotten the XL.
    BOOMER!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    I have both, an XL and a Large.  The XL was my first and I think it is my favorite of the two.   I do have a Lump Reducer and it works great but even if I don't use it there is lump left over in the EGG from previous cooks.  I get tired of reading that one can cook a lot of food on a Large, I guess one can but it is so much easier to have that extra space to cook and not feel so cramped.  If you want, get a Large for your next EGG.
  • Still confused here.

one xl doesn't use alot of lump , one uses about 3 lbs , and yet another uses 12 lbs. See why I'm confused ?

Also please teach me how the lump reducer ring reduces the amount of lump used ? Or is there another benifit ?

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited December 2011
    I don't believe for a second that the XL uses more lump than the Large.  Well, OK, the large is several inches by a few inches smaller than the XL.  I figure that's might equate to 1.5 fist size chucks of lump per cook. ;) Big deal.
    I use a lump reducer on EVERY cook.  I attached an old charcoal grate to the ring with a couple of lock washers.  This allows me to shake the leftover coals into my "ash pit" before I start every cook.  This way I never have a clogged charcoal grate - which makes every cook consistent.  Now that I've discovered it I wouldn't run the EGG any other way.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    It holds a lot of lump.  It could use a lot of lump if you light the whole pile, and cook a long time. 

A lump reducing ring is about 15" and it allows you to light smaller pile of lump. As a result, you won't get the whole 24" grid completely hot.  The center 18" (the size of a large) will be fully hot, and this is great for smaller cooks.

90% of my XL cooks are with the lump reducing ring, and I just cook on the center 18" of the grid.  It's like having a "virtual large" within the XL shell.
  • It holds a lot of lump.  It could use a lot of lump if you light the whole pile, and cook a long time. 

A lump reducing ring is about 15" and it allows you to light smaller pile of lump. As a result, you won't get the whole 24" grid completely hot.  The center 18" (the size of a large) will be fully hot, and this is great for smaller cooks.

90% of my XL cooks are with the lump reducing ring, and I just cook on the center 18" of the grid.  It's like having a "virtual large" within the XL shell.
    I see where your coming from now. Although if your going the reducer route wouldn't using something like the angle brackets to hold the lump on one side of the fire box work as good or better ? Then you could have 1/2 the grill direct and the other half indirect.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    It's phucking lump......it's cheap, don't over think it.  Buy it on sale and burn it like a candle.  I buy 100 lbs.+ when it goes on sale at Menard's.  You just spent a bunch on the best cooker you will ever own and you're worried about lump cost? 

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE

• I see where your coming from now. Although if your going the reducer route wouldn't using something like the angle brackets to hold the lump on one side of the fire box work as good or better ? Then you could have 1/2 the grill direct and the other half indirect.
    It simply a preference thing.  Sure you could use angle brackets and do 1/2 and 1/2.  I already had a ring and charcoal grate combo, so I use the center as the hot spot and put "sides" around the outside/edge (like potato wedges, corn on the cob, etc.).
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I will fill up the reducer and toss the old small lump in the garden.
    Why would you throw away lump? I just pour fresh in on top of the old. If I do a whole cleanout, I save the old and fill up the egg with new and pour the old on top. No reason to waste it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I will fill up the reducer and toss the old small lump in the garden.
    Why would you throw away lump? I just pour fresh in on top of the old. If I do a whole cleanout, I save the old and fill up the egg with new and pour the old on top. No reason to waste it.

+1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • I will fill up the reducer and toss the old small lump in the garden.
    +2
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    edited December 2011
    maybe these pics will help on how much lump for the various set-ups.   How long the burn is dependent on too many variables to say exactly.

the large firebox, firebox only, holds approx. 4.5 pounds of lump.

4.5 pounds is about what the ceramic grill store's lump reducing rings hold.  The diameter of the ring is approx. 14.5 inches and 3.5 inches tall, designed to work with bge's or similar medium cooking grids (176 sq. inches of grid area) 

the Ang-L Brackets at half position hold about 4.5 pounds.  With grilling, the usable cooking area for the half xl grid configuration just about equals the usable cooking area on the full large grid when both grids are sitting on their respective fire rings.  Usable cooking area equals inside diameter of the fire ring.  (xl fire ring 21.5" id => 181 sq. inches of half grid area, large fire ring 15.75" id => 194 sq. inches of full grid area)  

xl firebox holds approx. 10 pounds of lump.

The xl is my favorite cooker. I like the extra grid length on Q cooks, (more room for briskets and ribs) plus can ramp down the cooking area to grill on a smaller scale when needed.  
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I dont "waste" it. Tha small pieces, that typically get caught in the grate are cleaned out and put into the garden. Probably two handfulls when I do it. I pour all my coals In the garden, from fire place and other grill. Tho the other grill doesn't get use much. It's good for the soil! I don't waste much of anything. Left over fat, skin and bone is boiled for broth. Empty bottles are saved. I just find other ways to use.

Y'all simma downaw. Ain't no county boy wastin buyer tin

Paul
  • I have a L 6 years ago (I bought mine b4 I knew there was an XL or it mit not have been out yet dunno).  but a good friend of mine got an XL a year ago.  The difference in fuel you won't mind (if there is much) with all the cooking surface.  I wish I had an XL.  I cook for me n the wife mostly...but when we have company it would be nice to have more cooking surface.  I know I know I can use racks...I do.  But jus like one said earlier its not the same.  The L is great...but if I had to do it over again I wud have bought an XL.  Heck it will last you forever!! With what you like to cook you have done ur research! just fire that egg up and figure it out.  Its each to there own...how much coal/ fuel- who cares it's minor in the big pic.  It takes practice and more practice...figuring out ur air flow top and bottom.  An egg will do whatever you want it to do just be patient.  I have burned some and cooked some of the best meet ever on an EGG.  I wud recommend w/ the XL the reducer for smaller cooks.  My friend loves his XL.  I have another friend that has a M. I have cooked on all 3...each is a tad bit different as far as getting the rit temp and holding it.  It jus takes some getting used too

Good Luck!

Reed- Springhill, Louisiana
  • Thanks for all the help everyone provided. I brought the xl home today.

The only thing that sucks is waiting till christmas before you can play with your toys .

• Good choice, you're going to love it.

Christmas?
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• I went through the same quandry. My son says "Dad, when have you ever said "I wish I had a smaller grill"? Ended the quandary