Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg Cookbook

dunnharr
dunnharr Posts: 45
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Is there a new cookbook out, or is the one now advertised the same one that's been out for several years?

Comments

• I got it last year as a gift too. Actually, I've found a lot of good recipes in there. A couple are over the top but overall, some good stuff to try.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    I bought the Kindle version for my iPad, much better price.  So far have only tried the turkey recipe and we really enjoyed the results.

Gerhard
  • Got mine on the iPad also. You are correct, good price.
  • I returned mine about 20 hours after I got it.  I was extremely dissappointed considering all the hype it got.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • smasch
    smasch Posts: 115
    Agreed.............A few very good recipes, but overall a bit over the top.  Also, takes up much space in the cookbook cabinet. 
    Owner of LBGE, Antique Komodo Green in Color. Proud Career Firefighter. Johns Creek / South Forsyth GA
  • I have it on my iPhone nook app. It is what it is. A few great recipes in a fancy promo book made to sell Big Green Eggs. I don't dislike the book, but the net is much more helpful when it comes to recipes. It is, however, a really good marketing idea.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I bought the book and don't care for it, I'm planning to try the pizza dough but that's about it.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited November 2011

I posted this when the book first came out. If mine was not signed I would return.

Only my opinion of the new cookbook.
    First I think it is outstanding tool for people who own eggs and NOT involved in this forum (I am sure this is the vast majority of egg owners).
    The first time I opened the book it was to a recipe calling to soak the chips before putting on coals (I may be in the minority here, but I am in the do not soak camp). I noticed that this is in all references to wood in the book that I could find. For some reason it put me off a little. The next page before reading and just flipping I came to cornbread (2 parts flour to 1 part cornmeal) just hard to understand after 60+ years of Southern Cornbread.
    The photography overall was good, but not better than lots and lots on the forum. Guys I understand that a few forum members are pro’s but we still have great photography on the forum.

The book is 320 pages with only 30 pages (22 recipes) to egghead recipes and those NO CREDIT to cooks. And not what you read on the forum (little changes)

I had the same opinion to the chapter of Rubs (not up to forum).

Noticed that they put the pizza stone directly on platesetter (not air between) any time using both.

No pulled pork? (that I found)

For me, I can find (and have stored) many more and better (I said for me) recipes off the forum. I am let down with the book, (for me) was expecting the FORUM IN PRINT (I guess).
    If this was in a book store and I could sit and read it for 10 minutes before buying, I would pass. For me the forum is so much richer in information.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    I seem to remember that pizza dough recipe in the book is way too dry.  Search for zippylips or my pizza dough recipe - they are much better.
    Thanks for crushing my only glimmer of hope for that book not being a complete waste of my $$... what's next ya' gonna go tell a bunch of 3 yr olds Santa isn't real?
  • Some good recipes in there if you try them.   If nothing else it is a good source of inspiration when deciding what to cook.  I do admit I was disappointed it did not focus more on smoking different meats.  More traditional BBQ recipes are lacking.  But overall I still use the book.
  • It's way over priced for what you get. I bought mine on Amazon for a deep discount and was still disappointed. A few good recipes, but there a plenty of better and cheaper books out there. Plus the forum's recipes for the most part are stellar.
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102

I have a borrowed copy and I'm happy that I won't be spending money on it ...

There are some good recipes, but I agree that there should be more on traditional meats.

Recipes that require being covered and/or closed for the whole cooking time are pointless to include IMHO, it negates the reason we cook with charcoal & wood in the first place ....

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • It is like "Barefoot Comtessa got egged"
    BGE XL, Large & Mini, Black Wifi Stoker Cannes, France
  • I made the meatloaf last night it was awesome!
    But seriously overpriced and impractical overall ...but try the meatloaf :)
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    And don't try the mac and cheese....

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Cookinupnorth
    Cookinupnorth Posts: 95
    edited December 2011
    I made the meatloaf last night it was awesome!
    But seriously overpriced and impractical overall ...but try the meatloaf :)