Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lechon Asado (4 pics)

Eggecutioner
Eggecutioner Posts: 628
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Momma says that this was the best thing I have ever cooked on the egg.[p]I put them on last night at about 6 PM. I thermocoupled the Air inlet, pork butt, grate and Dome. I took all the data for the whole cook. I would post it, but I don't know how to post a spread sheet. There is also some bad spots in the data where the temp starts dropping as I am sleeping...bad boy. [p]On to the cook... I marinated 2 6#-7# butts per WDAN's recipe. With one addition I added the juice of one lemon to give the marinade a little more bite and some white onions as suggested by Dobiedad. When I tasted this stuff I knew it was going to be right for me. I used 3 chunks of guava and 3 chunks of oak for the smoke.[p]I had a drop in temp over night when I checked at 5 AM. to get a little more heat in the egg I used one of those Air-Grill things that have been talked about here. Worked really well. I didn't move any of my adjustments, just bley air through the crack in the draft door. I still looked inside after I did that and the coals were glowing.[p]Here is the WIRED egg. Also go to add a Rain Cap to my arsenal of egg goodies.
P1010349.jpg

Here are the butts about 2-3 hours into the cook. Looking tasty!
P1010350.jpg

The Lechon at about 10 AM Wrapped and into the cooler they went. I thought they would take longer to cook (16 hours). You can see all my thermocouples. 2 probes in 1 and 1 probe in the other. I double checked all my readings with a poulder.
P1010355.jpg

Here is the dinner. Vinegar based Cole slaw, Mango salsa, blackbeans and rice, and Mojo Sauce (LOVE THAT STUFF!!!). You can even see some mac and cheese for my boy!
P1010358.jpg

Comments