Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled pork serving/holding suggestions

pmnhsn5pmnhsn5 Posts: 19
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I am looking for away to serve pulled pork so it will stay as moist and warm as possible for as long as a few hours. Suggestions ?
·

Comments

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    I served pulled pork today for a group at lunch.  Used a large crock pot and added a sauce for moisture along with the pulled pork.  In about 1 1/2 hours the pork was warmed up with the crock pot on high setting.   Serving this way the meat stays hot and moist as long as the lid is replaced after dishing out each time.
    ·
  • I normally wrap in heavy duty foil and couple towels. Place in dry cooler and it stays warm for several hours. Pull and serve
    ·
  • SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    Use any container that you can keep heated at 150º with a cover will do the job.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • I was referring to keeping it warm after it has been pulled. I had used a big oval crock but i think the lid was left off to much between servings. Maybe returning the lid promptly after each serving and adding some sauce would help. I guess keeping air from drying it out is the key. I was thinking of some water based heating that would use steam to help keep it moist.
    Any thoughts?
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352
    Costco often has the maitre d' hotel pans for a good price.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • If the lid is going to stay off we just stir it with a large serving spoon every 15 minutes and bring the hotter food and liquids from the bottom to the top.
    ·
  • PaulTPaulT Posts: 4
    edited February 2012
    I cook my pulled pork 20-22 hours and aim for 2 hours before I want to serve.  After I pull the butt(s) I put them in a cooler, covered with foil and a towel/blanket or two.  They will stay perfectly for at least 2 hours before I have to shred them.  That allows me to be the good host not fussing over the grill.  Which removes a lot of stress on my part too.
    ·