Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib - Cook times and Au Jus

Options
Charcoal Mike
Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi all -[p]I have a 4 bone prime rib I am planning to cook tomorrow for some out of town family (for sale at 4.99/lb at a fancy Harris Teeter). I cut it from the bone, rubbed ribs/roast with peanut oil and a generous shaking of cowlick, then retied to the bone. I wrapped in Saran Wrap and stuck it in the fridge last night. I'll add some Kosher Salt tomorrow just before it hits the coals.[p]Last time I did this (over a year ago), I only used a 2-bone roast, and did a 3 minute sear on all sides, pulled, let the grill cool a-la T-Rex style, and then put it back on bone-side down until it hit about 128 degress for a nice medium rare (rising to 134/135 as it sat on the platter before cutting to serve).[p]My problem is that while I remember the process, I don't remember how long it took to reach the 128 temp after the sear. I'm also not sure how a double-sized roast is going to affect the total time. Could anyone let me know? Just trying to time this to work with the other dishes so it's all ready about the same time....Other dishes will be mashed potatoes, a nice salad, Nature Boys grilled veggies (done after the roast), maybe baked apples and some carrot cake. Should be a nice lunch - glad I only do it once a year though, else it will kill my wallet and my waistline. :-)[p]I am also looking for a *simple* Au-jus recipe if anyone has one that is tried and true that they enjoy. I don't want to put a lot of time into this one, as only myself and one other person will use it.[p]Thanks all![p]Cheers -[p]Mike

Comments

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    Well first about the Au-jus recipe. I dont know, never thought I needed it for an Egged prime rib.
    Basic cooking time for a medium rare roast is about 20 minutes a pound. When I do mine I do the sear last after a rest. So I get it to about 125 then remove, rest while the lump comes up to sear temps. I found this way easier to control the time I need to serve since I can make the rest a bit longer or shorter if needed.

• Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 441
    Options
    Charcoal Mike,
    About 15 minutes p/pound for 125* internal temp & rest for 15 to 20 mins and you should be at the target temp of 128-130*. Joe

• Charcoal Mike
    Charcoal Mike Posts: 223
    Options
    tach18k,[p]Thanks for the reply....went ahead and did it sear first, and the entire cook took about 2.5 hours start to finish (including sear, rest, and bake). My biggest problem with the sear process is getting the roast to lay properly on it's side without rolling over.....used some metal shish kabob sticks to brace it against the side - worked OK but was a bit of a pain due to the heat. Took off at 125 - not sure where it ended during rest because I removed the probe, but the center was a perfect medium rare.[p]You were correct - I probably had close to 1/3 cup of juice on the plate after slicing - no need for au jus. Turned out perfect - not much talking at the table. :-)[p]I also removed the ribs and put them back on the egg for an extra couple of hours....a little too fatty but definitely tasty beef ribs. Thermapen showed temp at 204* between the bones when I pulled - I didn't want them to hit the boiling point. but still too fatty. I will need to try to work on those sometime as well, but beef ribs are hard to come by in this part of the country for whatever reason.[p]My thanks to you and Smokin Joe for the assistance.[p]Cheers -[p]Mike