Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Smoking a ham

GrizzardGrizzard Posts: 2
edited November 2011 in Root
New egg owner smoking a ham for Thanksgiving for first time.  I've read all the posts and have a couple of questions.  First, (I do not have a raised grid yet) is it best to place the ham directly on the grid with or without a drip pan and if drip pan is best, what is advice for water/juice or other liquid in the pan?  Second, what is the advantage/disadvantage of putting the ham in a roasting pan vs over a drip pan?  Thanks for any advice/tips.
·

Comments

• I just did a ham earlier this year.  Put the place setter in with legs up, then a drip pan with water, then put the grid in and put the ham on it.  The drip pan with water is only so the drippings don't burn and give off a nasty smell/flavor.

I thought "ham" was just "ham" until I tried this recipe, incredible!!  Guests were raving about it!
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html

Packerland, Wisconsin

·
  • Thanks again!  The ham turned out great following your advice.  I went with the Alton Brown recipe.  One thing I noticed that I will probably do differently next time - I smoked the ham on the egg at 250 until it reached 130 (about 4 hours), peeled off the skin/fat, applied the 4 ingredient "crust" and put it back on the egg at 350 until it reached 140.  In Alton's recipe, this should take about 1 hour but only took about 35 min on the egg & the "crust" kind of just melted on the ham - not crunchy but gooey.  I thought maybe it would set up overnight, but it did not - stayed gooey.  Next time I think I will move the ham to a roasting pan & finish in the oven for that last hour to firm up the crust. 
    ·
  • ChokeOnSmokeChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,758
    edited November 2011
    Glad it turned out OK for you.  I don't recall mine turning gooey?
    Been meaning to try this again though.  I'll let you know if I can keep the crust "crusty".
    Packerland, Wisconsin

·