Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

25 lb. bird

Options
Lill Prophet's Mom
Lill Prophet's Mom Posts: 32
edited November 2011 in Poultry
I have a 25 pound turkey. I've read where it is dangerous to smoke a turkey that large because of the amount of time the meat is in the "danger zone" (40-140 degrees). Should I just cook it on the Egg at 300-350 instead of smoking it at 250?  I've never done one this large before.

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    slow roasting at 250 is perfectly acceptable, as in a slow roasted prime rib, for example.
    just because someone roasts 'low' at 250, doesn't mean they are going 'slow' as they do with brisket or pork butt, ribs, etc.  Those are true low and slow cooks, but the meat in those cases is taken close to 200, through the point where collagen breaks down, fat renders, etc.

no one does that when roasting a bird (especially duck) or a rib eye at 250.  But you can certainly roast it at that temp.  Would take longer.  I kn ow that with chicken and duck it yields crispier skin (for me) than done at a higher temp for shorter period.  ...but I also dry the skin in the fridge (uncovered) for a day or mor.

@lil-prophet: people here often make pronouncements based on what they hear and repeat, not what they understand from practical experience.  it is best to take advice given here with a grain of salt (from everyone, including me).

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Yeah but you have other stuff in the fridge that's been there for months

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paulheels
    Options
    Annnnd here we go........
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    He rarely takes the bait

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    I wasn't baiting anyone. That's the answer i would have given whether tweev posted his incorrect over-simplified generalization or not

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Take it easy on my buddy!

Steve 

Caledon, ON