Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Time using the Egg

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My new Large egg arrived yesterday. What should the first thing I cook be?[p]I would like to do something like a pork butt, but I can't start cooking until tomorrow morning around 8. Whatever I make needs to cook in 8-9 hours total time.[p]Thank you for your help.[p]Jason

Comments

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Jason G.,[p]Why not try some baby back ribs? They are the easiest of the rib family to cook and only take 4 or 5 hours. The results are always good. During this short cook, you can figure out fire control and get the feel of your Egg. There are recipes & techniques in the recipe section, in the archives and on several of the members websites. I posted one technique & a rub recipe last night, a few posts down. [p]A few chicken thighs or wings on the side might be good snacks too![p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • badbruce
    badbruce Posts: 353
    Mornin' Jason G.,
    And welcome.
    thirdeye is right, babybacks are a good way to start. Butts generally take 20 hours or so.
    How about Smashed Chicken Roll-ups? easy to make & deceptivelly delish.[p]bruce

[ul][li]http://poultry0372.htm[/ul]
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Jason G.,
    for your first time I would do a spatchcocked chicken, easy, quick and if you ruin it then your only out a few bucks and you can cook another within an hour. The NakedWhiz's website has a ton of info on it.[p]http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm

[ul][li]NakedWhiz[/ul]
  • SnowEgg
    SnowEgg Posts: 29
    Jason G.,
    RIBS! It'll only take 4-6 hours or so, and will be great. Just search the archives for recipes, tips, 3-1-1 etc. The folks on this forum are great and have a lot of useful info to help you along. My favorite of ribs has become spare ribs, but I have a slab of baby backs on right now. Try one of each if you want.[p]Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ribs..........
    DSC01783.jpg[p]