Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dead on ribs!

canoeandcue
canoeandcue Posts: 41
edited November 2011 in Forum Feedback
I don't know if this is the appropriate forum but here I go. Baby back ribs tuesday before thanksgiving. I used a rub recipie that my wife found a long time ago. Has paprika,coffee salt etc. I did not have enough rub to finish the job. A little pork but rub we tried last week to finish . In the egg for 7 hours at 225 to 250 deg. dome temp. The most succulent, delicious rack of baby backs we have ever tasted! I must admit this was after we ate a shrimp and asparagas dinner I prepared for my wife on the egg from griffin. We could not stop eating them even though they were for the next day. My point is sometimes the stars are aligned, you make mistakes and you still have a great cook!  Keep honing your skills an document your results. We can all benifit. Happy Thanksgiving

Comments

• canoeandcue
    canoeandcue Posts: 41
    edited November 2011
  • Sounds like a feast. When I do ribs, I do foil them for a short bit (about 30 min) with moisture (usually beer). I know that may go against what many preach here, but it works for me.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Do you usually cook bb or spares?
  • Sounds like a feast. When I do ribs, I do foil them for a short bit (about 30 min) with moisture (usually beer). I know that may go against what many preach here, but it works for me.

I believe you have the ticket to "dead on" ribs. foil for much longer and they're too tender. its a modified 3-1-1 routine that just nails the baby backs. 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Interesting, Canoe. I've never tried coffee in a rib rub before. Might have to add that to my list. Glad the ribs came out good. 7 hours seems long for BBs. Mine usually finish up around 5. I'm guessing no foil?

How'd the shrimp and asparagus turn out the other night?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    edited March 2012
    I used this method yesterday for a slab of pork ribs, and it turned out fantastic,

Soak the ribs in 1 cup of Worcestershire sauce for 90 minutes. Drain sauce and discard.
    Use a rub that consists of  2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp black pepper and 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
    Let the rub set on the ribs for 3-4 hours
    Put the slab  on the EGG for four hours using the plate setter at 250 f. I used hickory chunks that were soaking in a bucket for the entire cooking process, using a ceramic grid lifter and feeding the chunks through the holes of the plate setter..
    The ribs turned out with a wonderful smoky taste.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca