Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

dome temp vs Grate temp

Options
MasterMason
MasterMason Posts: 243
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had the egg about a month now. I have done several butts at this time. The last 2 cooks have been wierd on the readings on the temps. In the first few when the dome read 250, the grate was right around 225, The last couple the grate temp has read almost the same as the dome. I have checked both the grate and the dome themometers, and they both go to 212 on a boil. Any ideas why the dome and grate temps are so close to each other?[p]Another question, are the tru temp dome themometers worth replacing the BGE one?

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    MasterMason,
    the topic surfaces from time to time and your experience is norm - about 25 diff. The dome may be further from the coals, but the top of the dome is where the heat is. As for replacing with Tel Tru thermometers - yes, but in due time - thermometers are like gaskets - they tend to fail or water gets in them.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Inna Avrelina
    Options
    Another question, are the tru temp dome themometers worth replacing the BGE one? YES ABSOLUTELY
  • Toy Man
    Toy Man Posts: 416
    Options
    "are the tru temp dome themometers worth replacing the BGE one? "[p]Another affirmative.[p]Toy Man

• Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Options
    MasterMason,
    I've never given much attention to the dome vs grid temp question as unless I'm grilling, almost all my cooks are elevated above the grid into the dome anyway.[p]As for the Tel-Tru question, I just replaced my BGE thermometer 2 months ago with a Tel-Tru after almost 7 years, so the answer is replace when needed.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q