Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Baked abalone

bugz on da barbebugz on da barbe Posts: 35
edited November 2011 in Seafood

1 whole abalone removed from shell, cleaned and tenderized. (put in a 1 gallon ziplock bag and smack with a 2x4  4-5 times on each side. not to hard or it will split open, you will feel the texture change)

place in 2 layers of alumminnum foil.

add:

2 tsp. capers

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tbl spn lemon juice

1/4 cup good white wine

1/4 tsp gound pepper

2tbl spn butter

close foil tightly, place in backing pan.  bake in oven or egg at 350' for 1 hour.

save juices, slice vertically, a little less than 1/4" thick, place on serving platter & pour saved juices over the top and serve ASAP.  GREAT with wild rice and fresh steamed veggies.

·

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101

Never had the flesh of one of these ... :((  ... just a decorative shell!

I live in Ontario ... a long way from the left coast ...

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
    Abalone civiche is fantastic.
    Where do you get yours?
    ·
  • bugz on da barbebugz on da barbe Posts: 35
    edited November 2011
    I freedive for them off of the California coast.  Usually off the coast of  Sonoma or Mendicino county.  Ain't nothing better than fresh abalone!!!!
    ·
    That's great ... now how do I get some?
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Go to sonoma or mendicino county?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    And free dive. A lot of work for that little sucker.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • I don't even know what the hell y'all are talking about. Is it like a minner or a bream or a bass?

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    nah. big-ass snail lookin thing.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    Looks like snail or conch from the ocean.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • bugz on da barbebugz on da barbe Posts: 35
    edited November 2011
    Yep, Stike your right!  An Abalone is a ocean snail.  Minimmum legal size is 7" across the shell.  We freedive for them in 1-35ft of water. One of my favorite ways to fix them is to slice, pound, dredge in flour, dip in beaten eggs and flash fry in a REALLY HOT pan.  Served with a green salad and fresh sourdough bread.
    ·