Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does anybody know how to cook grass fed beef on the egg

Options
orrmn
orrmn Posts: 1
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
Hi i have no idea how long to cook grass fed beef  or what temperature to cook them at. Has anybody done them before or knows how?

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    What cut? In general you want to cook leaner cuts hotter and faster.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bearmontana
    Options
    I cook it how I do my steaks. I am assuming you are doing burgers.  Olive oil plus a little salt and pepper. Enjoy!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Grass fed is often leaner and may be a little tougher than grain finished, because the animal walked around more. Over-all, the flavor is likely to be better, but the texture a little chewier.

If it is ground, expect it to be like some of the very lean mix you might get at the market. Some marinade or wooster mixed in might help it stay a bit more moist (If you are not going to serve it topped with cheese and bacon!) Larger cuts, like chuck, may need to be brined/marinated and/or braised. For grass fed steak, I prefer a thinner cut that will cook really fast.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Hate to be the contrarian, but i think you can cook it just the same as other beef

Did a wellington of grass fed tenderloin, and seared for flavor, allowed it to cool, and then roasted to 125-130 in the center. It was no drier than i would have expected. 'regular' tenderloin is also very lean, and is versatile enough to be cooked at a slow roast if you wanted to

Biggest thing is to not overcook it. Cooked to a proper internal temp, never above medium (and preferably lower) it can't possibly be dry, and toughness will be dependant more on the cut than whether it was grass fed or grain finished. Overcooking is the only thing that will dry out meat
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante