Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

pizza advice

jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
edited November 2011 in Cookbook
I made pizzas last night and they turned out mighty tasty.  The only problem is always with the first pie.  The crust never gets brown and crispy on the first one.  I suspect I don't give the stone adequate time to preheat for fear of running out of heat to cook the last pizza.  How long do you suggest I preheat the stone and also how long can I keep a ripping hot fire on a full load of charcoal (I use american royal oak).  I have made pizzas more times than I can count and always have the same problem.  Thanks.
·

Comments

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,198
    A half-hour is about what I use, too.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • I made pizzas last night and they turned out mighty tasty.  The only problem is always with the first pie.  The crust never gets brown and crispy on the first one.  I suspect I don't give the stone adequate time to preheat for fear of running out of heat to cook the last pizza.  How long do you suggest I preheat the stone and also how long can I keep a ripping hot fire on a full load of charcoal (I use american royal oak).  I have made pizzas more times than I can count and always have the same problem.  Thanks.
    What is your set up? Raised grid, platesetter, rig?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
    watched the video. Great setup. I'll try the plate setter with the legs up next time. I normally place the stone directly on the plate setter legs down. I also saw a video with plate setter legs down with a round cake pan under the stone to elevate it above the rim. Just goes to show, no matter how seasoned you think you are, you can always learn something.
    ·