Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pizza advice

jerryp
jerryp Posts: 232
edited November 2011 in Cookbook
I made pizzas last night and they turned out mighty tasty.  The only problem is always with the first pie.  The crust never gets brown and crispy on the first one.  I suspect I don't give the stone adequate time to preheat for fear of running out of heat to cook the last pizza.  How long do you suggest I preheat the stone and also how long can I keep a ripping hot fire on a full load of charcoal (I use american royal oak).  I have made pizzas more times than I can count and always have the same problem.  Thanks.

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    A half-hour is about what I use, too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• I made pizzas last night and they turned out mighty tasty.  The only problem is always with the first pie.  The crust never gets brown and crispy on the first one.  I suspect I don't give the stone adequate time to preheat for fear of running out of heat to cook the last pizza.  How long do you suggest I preheat the stone and also how long can I keep a ripping hot fire on a full load of charcoal (I use american royal oak).  I have made pizzas more times than I can count and always have the same problem.  Thanks.
    What is your set up? Raised grid, platesetter, rig?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    watched the video. Great setup. I'll try the plate setter with the legs up next time. I normally place the stone directly on the plate setter legs down. I also saw a video with plate setter legs down with a round cake pan under the stone to elevate it above the rim. Just goes to show, no matter how seasoned you think you are, you can always learn something.