Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Dropping grid to fire box......

JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
I asked this question under an ealier post about the spider, but I thought I'd start a new thread instead....

Anybody just remove the fire ring and drop the stock grate down on top of the fire box?  Wouldn't this server the same purpose as the spider for searing (with or without the cast iron grid)??  Any reason not to do this?

Perhaps you could drop the grid down to the fire box and then put the ring back in place on top of the grid.  Or is this even necessary?
·

Comments

• Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    I don't see a problem searing with the grid on the firebox for short periods of time.  As long as the grid is not making contact to the sides of the base at firebox level I think you will be ok.   The grid needs room to expand as it heats up.
    ·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    Thanks Clay.  Would you drop the fire ring back down on the grid?  Any reason to do that?
    ·
  • Clay QClay Q Posts: 4,418
    Well if you were grilling a long time or often at firebox level the fire ring would help shield the base from heat.  So setting the fire ring back in on top of the grid would get you back to the 'standard' setup.   I can see some advantages here- two grid levels.  One grid just above the fire for searing and the other at the top of the fire ring at standard level.  You would need a second grid for the fire ring, of course.   
    ·
    edited November 2011
    Yep.  Someone mentioned earlier get the Spider to get closer to the fire--- better for searing and would use less lump, etc. and I thought this might just serve the same purpose.  And if I add the fire ring back on top of the grid, I'm really not risking having too much heat the base.  If anyone has any other reasons why NOT to do this, please let me know.  I'm assuming Tweev will tell me this is dumb at any point now.  
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,924
    you can drop the grill down or just add more lump, it does the same thing, gets the hot coals closer to the grill
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,219
    Curious about this so I put theory to practice-and on a LBGE the standard 181/4" grid is too big to sit flush on the top of the fire box.  Needs to be no bigger in diameter than around 171/2" but test fit your own as there are manufacturing tolerences.
    Louisville
    ·
    And you also don't want it to be wedged in against the base either.  I could by a smaller grate, but then I might as well just by the spider!    Thanks Lousubcap---- I'm not in front of my egg, so appreciate the check....
    ·
    Ha!  I knew it would happen!  I set myself up for that one.  Thanks Tweev.
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,442
    I think Tweev just might be a school teacher. Always correcting. Too funny.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·