Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

thinking of buying a spider

jerrypjerryp Posts: 226
edited November 2011 in EGGtoberfest
I'm thinking of buying a spider.  I would be interested in some opinions on any pros/cons and also anything else I might need to compliment it.  I would also buy a cast iron grid for a small egg. Just wondering if the investment is worth the cost.  Thanks

Comments

• 4Runner4Runner Posts: 2,111
    I use mine a good bit.  Not only for indirects (i have the stone for it as well) but with the CI down low I can get a good sear and then coupled with my Adj Rig go high to finish.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • i only have 2 uses for the spider. searing and elevated cooking. both are well worth the price of the spider.
    GreyGoose
  • LitLit Posts: 4,114
    I use it a good amount to sear stuff. If you cook enough steaks it will pay for itself in the amount of charcoal it saves you alone. I also use it to raise my stone when I am cooking pizzas by flipping it upside down on teh grate to get teh pizza higher in the dome to cook the top.
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    edited November 2011
    comment deleted.........created a new thread for this comment.....
  • If you do Chinese cooking with a wok, a spider is an absolute necessity.  A wok fits nicely in it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• BotchBotch Posts: 3,375
    Sorta OT:  VI, do you find the stir-frys you make pick up any smoke flavor?  I wok a lot but am wondering if its worth carrying all the ingredients outside to cook.  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • No, Botch.  I don't notice any smoke.  But, my reason for wokking on the BGE is the high temperature it generates - much more than a stove - and that is best for stir fry.  With stir fry, you want it very high temp and quick.  That will seal in the flavors and be more healthy.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Hey Gary! How are you?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON