Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Could I Be the "Lump Crap" King of the forum?

Options
Greygoose
Greygoose Posts: 103
edited November 2011 in EggHead Forum
Never thought id be able to lead this forum in any subject matter with all you cooking enthusiast out there (BTW. thanx for all the good recipes), but i think i found a way to get my "eggers crown".

Found this sucker in my bag of Royal Oak last night.  Its sitting on an envelope next to a penny. weight = 1 lb. Material = Solid frigin Rock

I understand that there may be some miscellaneous particulate material in lump, but this was over the top.

Could i be crowned "The Lump Crap King"?

GreyGoose

Comments

• paulheels
    Options
    Haha. I have found rocks in every brand of lump. But never one that pretty

Paul
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    Options
    If there is a picture, I don't see it???
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Greygoose
    Options
    If there is a picture, I don't see it???
    not sure why you dont see it. its shows up for me. Paulheels, do you see it?

GreyGoose
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Hard to light?
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    You should send an email to RO and inform them of this. You paid for n-lbs of wood and you got this 1-lbs rock... In most industries that would be considered fraud... (like the frozen seafood  industry counting the frozen water on the outside of the seafood as part of the weight of the product which was spotlighted not too long ago in the news.  Heck, they may even send you a whole bag to replace it... Hope you kept the bag..... You never know until you ask.  1-lb out of a 10lb bag is 10%.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited November 2011
    Options
    take it easy folks... the reason charcoal isn't MORE expensive is because they don't pick thru each bag looking for rocks.

sure, it stinks when you get one in it that big, but it happens with many (if not all) manufacturers.  it isn't close to being fraud.

if you want, take it to your retailer and show it to them and let them be all 'service oriented' and give you a new bag.  or just save the rock, and laugh it off.  i probably have five pounds of rocks from over the years.

i don't expect the guys working in dust and filth to spot each rock as it comes down the chute.  it's a natural product. a little perspective is in order.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Jasper
    Jasper Posts: 378
    edited November 2011
    Options
    Every bag of RO I've ever used has had some rocks or concrete chunks in it. I can't remember the last time I found anything other than charcoal in a bag of Maple Leaf.

Must be a completely different process they use when one brand often has rocks and other cr@p while others just have the lump. Makes me wonder about RO sometimes....

I've now switched to ML completely since I've found the 20lb bags cheaper than the same sized RO bags I used to get for $15 at Crappy Tire.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I can't remember ever finding anything in Maple Leaf. I get upset when I find a length of 2" branch.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• paulheels
    Options
    I see the pic fine.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • Shwiezzee
    Options
    I have a rock garden thanks to RO! The kids think some of them are moon rock. LOL
    I'm ashamed of what I did for a Klondike Bar.
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Most RO bags are 5-8% overweight anyway, so you were probably only out 4 ounces of charcoal below the 10 pounds you thought you were getting.

The Naked Whiz
  • DIXIEDOG
    DIXIEDOG Posts: 109
    Options
    I must be lucky, I haven't gotten a single rock or odd debris from my Humphrey's or Wicked Good lump yet.  Hopefully it'll stay that way.
  • Greygoose
    Options
    I"ve not had very good luck with RO. besides the Miscellaneous particulate matter, i'm just got 18lb bags of very very small lump.  Price and convenience has been good, but compared to the BGE brand lump size and consistency, theres been no comparison. dont have good experience with anything else yet.

Greygoose