Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket

bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
edited November 2011 in Forum List

after my first whole chickens, I am giving a go at a brisket.  If I purchase the brisket today, Thursday, what is the best timeline for marinated, smoking, and serving if I am trying to eat Saturday around 3?  Also, any recommendations on marinades, rubs, or just any words of advice at all?

Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I never marinate a brisket. Before you try your first brisket you should read these:

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html

and

http://bubbatim.com/Bubba_s_Brisket.php
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Bhugg, I cooked my 1st packer brisket last Sat. It cooked for 15 hrs at 225 to 250 dome temp. it was a little overdone. I took it off when inernal temp was 185 deg. There are a million different recipies for brisket. I used a online barbecue rub recipie and did an injection. I think for your 1st one, try to concentrate on keeping your temp constant and placing the meat thermometer in the proper spot. ( I do not think I did) If you do a basic rub, even no injection no marinade you will probably have the best brisket you ever tasted! I have some other things that I probably should have done differently. If you want, get back to me and will share.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    A brisket shouldn't be removed until it passes the tenderness fork test mentioned in the 'playing with fire and smoke' web site mentioned above. For me, this is usually between 190 and 200 internal temp.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Bhugg, I cooked my 1st packer brisket last Sat. It cooked for 15 hrs at 225 to 250 dome temp. it was a little overdone. I took it off when inernal temp was 185 deg. There are a million different recipies for brisket. I used a online barbecue rub recipie and did an injection. I think for your 1st one, try to concentrate on keeping your temp constant and placing the meat thermometer in the proper spot. ( I do not think I did) If you do a basic rub, even no injection no marinade you will probably have the best brisket you ever tasted! I have some other things that I probably should have done differently. If you want, get back to me and will share.
    Your brisket was most likely under done at 185 degrees and tough. Usually I start checking for doneness at 190 and pull around 195. The Bubba Tim method works good. Keep your dome at 250 don't try to do 225.
  • bhugg
    So here is the brisket.  I lathered it with mustard and some dizzy pig rub.  I plan on throwing this bad boy on the grill around 3AM.  I hope I am off to a good start.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • You are. Very simple prep, cook until ready, eat til ya fat as a worm in dishwater
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bhugg
    Time and Temp Check: just over 7 hours in and the temp is around 171 degrees.  I am assuming it is near its plateau, so I am just going to let it hang out for a while.  When I inserted the thermometer, it was a little tough still.  Any words of advice thus far?
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • You are. Very simple prep, cook until ready, eat til ya fat as a worm in dishwater
    Never heard that one. LOL

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    You are. Very simple prep, cook until ready, eat til ya fat as a worm in dishwater
    Never heard that one. LOL

+1
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • bhugg
    10 1/2 hours later, the temp was 198 degrees.  I pulled it off, poured the juices back on it, wrapped it in foil, packed it in towels and placed it into the ice chest.  One end seemed about right, but the other end seemed very dry.  When I put it into the ice chest, I put the meat side down with the fat cap on top, hoping that will help with the moisture.  We plan on eating at 7.  Wish me luck.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Squeezy

Good luck for sure ... which part of the brisket was the temp. taken?

• bhugg
    the thickest part.  I only had a flat.  there was a thick end and it tapered down.  the smaller end was the end that seemed a little dry. 
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • I haven't done a lot of brisket but haven't had much luck with the few flats I have tried. The packers have been way better. My last was my best and I used Bubba Tim's method with an injection.

I have found that vaccuum sealing sliced stuff with some liquid and sauce helps with dry bits. Reheat in simmering water. Looks good.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Squeezy
    With brisket, I think it better to check temp nearer the thin part, so as to not overdo that end. IMHO
  • The smaller end of the flat will tend to be a little drier. Cut and soak in some sauce, similar to burnt tips.
    thebearditspeaks.com. Go there. I write it.
  • bhugg
    How long will it last in the cooler?  Will it last until 7?  It went in at 2:15.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Hey bhugg, just got my BGE yesterday for my birthday today. My wife is a sweetie. Did my first cook and hickory smoke today was a 2 lb brisket I made a dry rub with 2T white sugar,1T cayenne, 1/4 T cumin, 2T hot paprika, 1/2 T garlic powder, 1T onion powder. Put rub on 4 hours before cook. Started cook at 12 @ 265. We ate tonight at 6:00. Temp in middle was 190. For my first cook, I'd give myself a B-. I was a gas grill cooker until today. No more!!! Here are a few pics. Take away from today - another hour in BGE and wrap in foil and let sit for :20. I let it sit in hot beef broth while I did potatoes and beans. (can't get pics to load from my iPhone - I'll post later). This newbie has a lot to learn.
  • pics of my first BGE cook today -- small brisk
  • Squeezy
    You're off to a good start ... I enjoyed seeing that shiny new grate!
  • My plan is not to have the grate shiny for long Squeezy. Thanks for the encouragement!!!
  • Squeezy

Not to worry ... it won't be shiny for long, but I do like to see brand new things.

I still haven't wiped the grin off my face since I got mine 2½ months ago .... 

:D