Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best size Turkey to cook on Large BGE?

JeffHJeffH Posts: 4
edited November 2011 in Root
I have a Large BGE and was wondering what would be the best size turkey to cook/smoke on it?
·

Comments

• SqueezySqueezy Posts: 1,101
    18 lb. and under ... I like a 12 to 15 lb. personally.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,303
    im in the 18 pound and under club as well, has nothing to do with the egg, just a better eating bird. i have 2 16 pounders on order for a dinner serving 4 adults and 2 children
    :D
    ·
  • I have a Large BGE and was wondering what would be the best size turkey to cook/smoke on it?
    spatchcocked or mad maxxed?

·
  • JLNCJLNC Posts: 73
    A 15lb spatchcocked turkey fits nicely and as the others mentioned  is a good eating bird.  Any bigger and you'd have to leave it entact.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,472
    edited November 2011
    I like 12lbs and spatchcocked. I just like that size of bird. Take about an hour and half cooked high and direct @ 375/400. If feeding large gathering just do 2 or 3....Easy.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • I cooked a 16 pounder last weekend in a pan set on top of fire bricks on top of the plate setter in the BGE Rack, and don't think I could have gone much bigger.  The BGE website says you can do a 20 and I'm thinking that it is assuming you're cooking vertical.
    ·
  • I do between 22 and 24 pounders at Christmas. Just remove the dome thermo and let it sit loosely in the hole  with a spacer or use a thermapen to check temp.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·