Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best size Turkey to cook on Large BGE?

Options
JeffH
JeffH Posts: 4
edited November 2011 in Root
I have a Large BGE and was wondering what would be the best size turkey to cook/smoke on it?

Comments

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options
    18 lb. and under ... I like a 12 to 15 lb. personally.
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    im in the 18 pound and under club as well, has nothing to do with the egg, just a better eating bird. i have 2 16 pounders on order for a dinner serving 4 adults and 2 children
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Greygoose
    Options
    I have a Large BGE and was wondering what would be the best size turkey to cook/smoke on it?
    spatchcocked or mad maxxed?

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2011
    Options
    I like 12lbs and spatchcocked. I just like that size of bird. Take about an hour and half cooked high and direct @ 375/400. If feeding large gathering just do 2 or 3....Easy.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• dunnharr
    Options
    I cooked a 16 pounder last weekend in a pan set on top of fire bricks on top of the plate setter in the BGE Rack, and don't think I could have gone much bigger.  The BGE website says you can do a 20 and I'm thinking that it is assuming you're cooking vertical.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I do between 22 and 24 pounders at Christmas. Just remove the dome thermo and let it sit loosely in the hole  with a spacer or use a thermapen to check temp.

Steve 

Caledon, ON